Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hills Road Sixth Form College Watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had any experience with this school?

What do you think of it?

Anyone who is applying?

ReputationRep:
    Wow didn't expect to see this thread. I was a student at Hills from 2012-2014 and really liked my time there. It is 2 years of hard work but my departments had lots of support and workshops. Most people end up going to a good uni, and there is lots of advice for applying to Oxbridge. There are also lots of extracurricular things and societies you can get involved with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_1995)
    Wow didn't expect to see this thread. I was a student at Hills from 2012-2014 and really liked my time there. It is 2 years of hard work but my departments had lots of support and workshops. Most people end up going to a good uni, and there is lots of advice for applying to Oxbridge. There are also lots of extracurricular things and societies you can get involved with.

I would love to go there because of the environment, the facilities and the extra curricular - I would love to learn the violin. BUT, i live in London - do you think it's worth it to maybe rent somewhere (costs is not relevant) in Cambridge to attend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YounesB)
    I would love to go there because of the environment, the facilities and the extra curricular - I would love to learn the violin. BUT, i live in London - do you think it's worth it to maybe rent somewhere (costs is not relevant) in Cambridge to attend?
    Would you really be willing to leave home to do that? Are there not any good sixth forms near where you live? Are you wanting to go to uni afterwards? I'm sure you would still get offers if you stayed in London, and you would still be able to do extracurricular stuff there. If you lived in Cambridge I would say go for it but it does seem a bit extreme to move just to attend.

ReputationRep:
    Would you really be willing to leave home to do that? Are there not any good sixth forms near where you live? Are you wanting to go to uni afterwards? I'm sure you would still get offers if you stayed in London, and you would still be able to do extracurricular stuff there. If you lived in Cambridge I would say go for it but it does seem a bit extreme to move just to attend.

There are but I'm just worried that they wouldn't push me like I've heard Hills do. I mean, this college gets better results than Eton! The college I've applied to doesn't do EC like music and is very small and lacks facilities. This is the best option for me around my area.

Yes, defo uni. I mean I don't live too far. Around 2 hours on the tube but I also want to go there for just the new people and setting.

I don't know. Is it worth it? How does the school get such good results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YounesB)
    There are but I'm just worried that they wouldn't push me like I've heard Hills do. I mean, this college gets better results than Eton! The college I've applied to doesn't do EC like music and is very small and lacks facilities. This is the best option for me around my area.

Yes, defo uni. I mean I don't live too far. Around 2 hours on the tube but I also want to go there for just the new people and setting.

I don't know. Is it worth it? How does the school get such good results?
    I expect that if you are motivated enough you would be able to push yourself to do extra reading or whatever. If you want to do musical things, couldn't you do that outside of school? Would it mean traveling far out of your area? I think part of the reason for good results is that they are selective in their intake. Then the teaching is really good and there's support if you need it. There are also talks and things beyond what's in the syllabuses. It is worth bearing in mind that going wouldn't automatically mean you get great grades, not everyone does. It is up to you to put in the work, and as long as you are willing to do that I don't see why you couldn't get good results at a college near you.

ReputationRep:
    I expect that if you are motivated enough you would be able to push yourself to do extra reading or whatever. If you want to do musical things, couldn't you do that outside of school? Would it mean traveling far out of your area? I think part of the reason for good results is that they are selective in their intake. Then the teaching is really good and there's support if you need it. There are also talks and things beyond what's in the syllabuses. It is worth bearing in mind that going wouldn't automatically mean you get great grades, not everyone does. It is up to you to put in the work, and as long as you are willing to do that I don't see why you couldn't get good results at a college near you.

That's true. I think I was having a little moment of dreaming. I just wanted to get out and do something new and visit a new place etc.

Thanks for your help though!

What are you studying atm?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.