Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which AS subject to drop? watch

Announcements
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hello
    I don't finish AS level until june, but I would like any advice on whether I should drop psychology or history. I'm keeping chemistry (obviously) and biology, and I understand history and psychology aren't considered very academic subjects, but which one would be better to drop in terms of being more advantageous when applying to medicine?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lularose83)
    Hello
    I don't finish AS level until june, but I would like any advice on whether I should drop psychology or history. I'm keeping chemistry (obviously) and biology, and I understand history and psychology aren't considered very academic subjects, but which one would be better to drop in terms of being more advantageous when applying to medicine?
    Keep whichever one you stand the best chance of getting an A in.

ReputationRep:
    I would say drop History, just because Psychology is a science so you may learn things that you can apply to your study of medicine.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend keeping the subject you enjoy the most. You will have plenty of time to learn medicine at medical school, take this opportunity to do something you enjoy. If you like the subject you are also more likely to do well in your exams.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    I would recommend keeping the subject you enjoy the most. You will have plenty of time to learn medicine at medical school, take this opportunity to do something you enjoy. If you like the subject you are also more likely to do well in your exams.
    This is very true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "I understand history and psychology aren't considered very academic subjects"

They are both rigorous academic subjects. Pick the one you are more likely to get an A or A* in.

"because Psychology is a science so you may learn things that you can apply to your study of medicine."

No you won't. A Level Psychology will be of no use to you other than, hopefully, getting you an A or A*. That is how you must make your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    Hah! On TSR maybe. In the real world, History is no less respected than any other A-level. Psychology is generally seen as a slightly softer subject, but far from the way Media Studies and Sociology etc are viewed, and not enough for you to be worrying about how it might impact an application to med school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by russellwallace)

No you won't. A Level Psychology will be of no use to you other than, hopefully, getting you an A or A*. That is how you must make your choice.
    Clearly you are in the fortunate position of not having to have sat through our health psych lectures this year; had I not done A-level psych I would have been flailing about going WHAAT??? like most of the rest of my year

ReputationRep:
    I understand history and psychology aren't considered very academic subjects,
    ?
    History is a traditional (& facilitating) academic subject that is valued by unis.
    Psych isn't a traditional or facilitating subject, but it is still rigorous, ties in well with biology and can be useful down the line and involves analysing research quality which the lab sciences don't at A-level.

but which one would be better to drop in terms of being more advantageous when applying to medicine?
    Continue taking the one you most enjoy and are most likely to get an A in. They are both heavy material-wise at A2, so enjoying it will likely play a part in how well you do.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.