Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NETMUMS - Who here uses it? watch

ReputationRep:
    so i've spent a lot of the day reading threads on netmums. i'm finding it a source of both perspective and hilarity. anyone else indulge?

ReputationRep:
    I've found myself directed to that site a couple of times after typing in a web search, it seems to be a site primarily full of helicopter mums and anti-vaccine advocates. In short stay away from it, the site is of no use to humanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I've found myself directed to that site a couple of times after typing in a web search, it seems to be a site primarily full of helicopter mums and anti-vaccine advocates. In short stay away from it, the site is of no use to humanity.
    i dunno. most seem pretty normal. i think it's largely made up of stay-at-home mums who haven't a lot to do.

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit like TSR for moms. People who have nothing better to do then sit in front of a screen and talk to like minded people. Except people here are more opinionated and awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applescruff)
    Except people here are more opinionated and awesome
    I concur :beer:

ReputationRep:
    Stumbled across mumsnet a few times. Never knew grown women could be so immature and *****y. But it does make for an amusing read.

ReputationRep:
    I signed up as it was kind of relevant to me at one point but I got sucked into a few discussions and carried on posting. So, I use net mums when I'm not a mum, and TSR when I'm not a student. Lol.

EDIT: Also I hate trolling, and cannot abide people who wind others up on purpose, but sometimes, just sometimes, it's funny to mention instant mash to the super-chef mums just to get a reaction. I know..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I signed up as it was kind of relevant to me at one point but I got sucked into a few discussions and carried on posting. So, I use net mums when I'm not a mum, and TSR when I'm not a student. Lol.

EDIT: Also I hate trolling, and cannot abide people who wind others up on purpose, but sometimes, just sometimes, it's funny to mention instant mash to the super-chef mums just to get a reaction. I know..
    one thing i'm struggling with is the acronyms. i've got DD and DS down but every time i open a thread i am baffled by another unnatural string of letters.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Nope I prefer babynbump
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by og.east)
    one thing i'm struggling with is the acronyms. i've got DD and DS down but every time i open a thread i am baffled by another unnatural string of letters.
    DH = dear husband
    SO = significant other
    NTNP = not trying not preventing
    TTC = trying to conceive
    AF = aunt flo (period)
    POAS = pee on a stick (take a pregnancy test)
    BLW = baby lead weaning
    CIO = crying it out (a horrible practice of leaving your baby to scream until it falls asleep)
    BF = breastfeeding
    PG = pregnant
    MIL / FIL / BIL / SIL = in-laws (mother, father, brother, sister - in law)
    DD / DS = dear daughter / dear son
    OH = other half

hmm any others you've come across that you don't understand? Most parenting forums (I've been a member of many in my time) use the same acronyms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    DH = husband
    SO = significant other
    TTC = trying to conceive
    AF = aunt flo (period)
    BLW = baby lead weaning
    CIO = crying it out (a horrible practice of leaving your baby to scream until it falls asleep)
    BF = breastfeeding
    PG = pregnant

hmm any others you've come across that you don't understand? Most parenting forums (I've been a member of many in my time) use the same acronyms.
    What do DD and OH stand for, I've saw them a couple of times.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    What do DD and OH stand for, I've saw them a couple of times.
    dear daughter and other half (SO is also used, which is significant other)

meanwhile DS is dear son

ReputationRep:
    dear daughter and other half (SO is also used, which is significant other)

meanwhile DS is dear son
    Ah, I see! What's with the 'dear', it makes it sound a bit poncy and over formal!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Ah, I see! What's with the 'dear', it makes it sound a bit poncy and over formal!
    I don't know haha I didn't set the precedent lol

Some prefer to think of it as darling but that's even worse lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't know haha I didn't set the precedent lol

Some prefer to think of it as darling but that's even worse lol
    http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/h...hamed-all.html

This is hilarious if DD stands for 'Darling Daughter', the woman uses this snobbish term but is on benefits and has appalling grammar. I'd be ashamed to share this on a public forum!
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/h...hamed-all.html

This is hilarious if DD stands for 'Darling Daughter', the woman uses this snobbish term but is on benefits and has appalling grammar. I'd be ashamed to share this on a public forum!
    I always thought it was a sarcastic use of darling lol

ReputationRep:
    DH = dear husband
    SO = significant other
    TTC = trying to conceive
    AF = aunt flo (period)
    BLW = baby lead weaning
    BF = breastfeeding
    PG = pregnant
    DD / DS = dear daughter / dear son
    OH = other half

Depending on how and when it is used it really isn't a horrible method in my opinion. So long as the baby has been fed, changed, isn't in pain or other such similar things and has been comforted before being put to bed there is nothing wrong with the practice, and of course the baby should't be left to cry it out for too long, it should be checked on in intervals to make sure it is still okay, not hungry ect. Sometimes babies/toddlers just cry for no reason, nothing you can do about it.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Depending on how and when it is used it really isn't a horrible method in my opinion. So long as the baby has been fed, changed, isn't in pain or other such similar things and has been comforted before being put to bed there is nothing wrong with the practice, and of course the baby should't be left to cry it out for too long, it should be checked on in intervals to make sure it is still okay, not hungry ect. Sometimes babies/toddlers just cry for no reason, nothing you can do about it.
    We'll agree to disagree, I think it's awful. Children that young need comfort. Not my business if other parents do it but I could never do it myself. They're not crying for no reason, they're crying because they're feeling abandoned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by og.east)
    Haha to be honest it takes so little time to type a word, you'd like people would just type a word! I don't like acronyms, but will use them on here sometimes because it's what you younguns do and I want to fit in .
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Ha I've just made an account on Netmums. Just for the sake of it!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.