Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Explain the thoughts and feelings the writer has during his encounter with the bear.

There was a sound of undergrowth being disturbed - a click of breaking branches, a weighty pushing through low
    foliage - and then a kind of large, vaguely irritable snuffling noise.
    Bear!
    I sat bolt upright. Instantly every neuron in my brain was awake and dashing around frantically, like ants
    when you disturb their nest. I reached instinctively for my knife, then realized I had left it in my pack, just outside
    the tent. Nocturnal defence had ceased to be a concern after many successive nights of tranquil woodland repose.
    There was another noise, quite near.
    ‘Stephen, you awake?’ I whispered.
    ‘Yup,’ he replied in a weary but normal voice.
    ‘What was that?’
    ‘How the hell should I know?’
    ‘It sounded big.’
    ‘Everything sounds big in the woods.’
    This was true. Once a skunk had come plodding through our camp and it had sounded like a stegosaurus.
    There was another heavy rustle and then the sound of lapping at the spring. It was having a drink, whatever it
    was.
    I shuffled on my knees to the foot of the tent, cautiously unzipped the mesh and peered out, but it was pitch
    black. As quietly as I could, I brought in my backpack and, with the light of a small torch, searched through it
    for my knife. When I found it and opened the blade I was appalled at how wimpy it looked. It was a perfectly
    respectable appliance for, say, buttering pancakes, but patently inadequate for defending oneself against 400
    pounds of ravenous fur.
    Carefully, very carefully, I climbed from the tent and put on the torch, which cast a distressingly feeble beam.
    Something about 15 or 20 feet away looked up at me. I couldn’t see anything at all of its shape or size - only two
    shining eyes. It went silent, whatever it was, and stared back at me.
    ‘Stephen,’ I whispered at his tent, ‘did you pack a knife?’
    ‘No.’
    ‘Have you got anything sharp at all?’
    He thought for a moment. ‘Nail clippers.’
    I made a despairing face. ‘Anything a little more vicious than that? Because, you see, there is definitely
    something out here.’
    ‘It’s probably just a skunk.’
    ‘Then it’s one big skunk. Its eyes are three feet off the ground.’
    ‘A deer then.’
    I nervously threw a stick at the animal, and it didn’t move, whatever it was. A deer would have bolted. This
    thing just blinked once and kept staring.
    I reported this to Katz.
    ‘Probably a buck. They’re not so timid. Try shouting at it.’
    I cautiously shouted at it: ‘Hey! You there! Scat!’ The creature blinked again, singularly unmoved. ‘You
    shout,’ I said.
    ‘Oh, you brute, go away, do!’ Katz shouted in merciless imitation. ‘Please withdraw at once, you horrid
    creature.’
    ‘Oh thank you,’ I said and lugged my tent right over to his. I didn’t know what this would achieve exactly,
    but it brought me a tiny measure of comfort to be nearer to him.
    ‘What are you doing?’
    ‘I’m moving my tent.’
    ‘Oh, good plan. That’ll really confuse it.’
    I peered and peered, but I couldn’t see anything but those two wide-set eyes staring from the near distance
    like eyes in a cartoon. I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to be outside and dead or inside and waiting to be
    dead. I was barefoot and in my underwear and shivering. What I really wanted - really, really wanted - was for
    the animal to withdraw.

Stuck on this question for English HW. Please help me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karnan)
    Explain the thoughts and feelings the writer has during his encounter with the bear.

There was a sound of undergrowth being disturbed - a click of breaking branches, a weighty pushing through low
    foliage - and then a kind of large, vaguely irritable snuffling noise.
    Bear!
    I sat bolt upright. Instantly every neuron in my brain was awake and dashing around frantically, like ants
    when you disturb their nest. I reached instinctively for my knife, then realized I had left it in my pack, just outside
    the tent. Nocturnal defence had ceased to be a concern after many successive nights of tranquil woodland repose.
    There was another noise, quite near.
    ‘Stephen, you awake?’ I whispered.
    ‘Yup,’ he replied in a weary but normal voice.
    ‘What was that?’
    ‘How the hell should I know?’
    ‘It sounded big.’
    ‘Everything sounds big in the woods.’
    This was true. Once a skunk had come plodding through our camp and it had sounded like a stegosaurus.
    There was another heavy rustle and then the sound of lapping at the spring. It was having a drink, whatever it
    was.
    I shuffled on my knees to the foot of the tent, cautiously unzipped the mesh and peered out, but it was pitch
    black. As quietly as I could, I brought in my backpack and, with the light of a small torch, searched through it
    for my knife. When I found it and opened the blade I was appalled at how wimpy it looked. It was a perfectly
    respectable appliance for, say, buttering pancakes, but patently inadequate for defending oneself against 400
    pounds of ravenous fur.
    Carefully, very carefully, I climbed from the tent and put on the torch, which cast a distressingly feeble beam.
    Something about 15 or 20 feet away looked up at me. I couldn’t see anything at all of its shape or size - only two
    shining eyes. It went silent, whatever it was, and stared back at me.
    ‘Stephen,’ I whispered at his tent, ‘did you pack a knife?’
    ‘No.’
    ‘Have you got anything sharp at all?’
    He thought for a moment. ‘Nail clippers.’
    I made a despairing face. ‘Anything a little more vicious than that? Because, you see, there is definitely
    something out here.’
    ‘It’s probably just a skunk.’
    ‘Then it’s one big skunk. Its eyes are three feet off the ground.’
    ‘A deer then.’
    I nervously threw a stick at the animal, and it didn’t move, whatever it was. A deer would have bolted. This
    thing just blinked once and kept staring.
    I reported this to Katz.
    ‘Probably a buck. They’re not so timid. Try shouting at it.’
    I cautiously shouted at it: ‘Hey! You there! Scat!’ The creature blinked again, singularly unmoved. ‘You
    shout,’ I said.
    ‘Oh, you brute, go away, do!’ Katz shouted in merciless imitation. ‘Please withdraw at once, you horrid
    creature.’
    ‘Oh thank you,’ I said and lugged my tent right over to his. I didn’t know what this would achieve exactly,
    but it brought me a tiny measure of comfort to be nearer to him.
    ‘What are you doing?’
    ‘I’m moving my tent.’
    ‘Oh, good plan. That’ll really confuse it.’
    I peered and peered, but I couldn’t see anything but those two wide-set eyes staring from the near distance
    like eyes in a cartoon. I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to be outside and dead or inside and waiting to be
    dead. I was barefoot and in my underwear and shivering. What I really wanted - really, really wanted - was for
    the animal to withdraw.

Stuck on this question for English HW. Please help me
    I remember this question, a few points:initially) frightened/then relieved (as bear turned awayfrom water) 7. expected attack/lucky to be armed/realised gun wasbest chance of survival

1. felt that being downwind of bear had bought him time
    2. scared/physically shaking/trying to prepare himself
    3. the sight of the bear left a lasting impression
    4. mistakenly thought bears moved slowly/ludicrous to

think of outrunning it
    12. felt light-headed with relief when bear disappeared into

scrub
    13. reluctant to shoot the bear/attempted to scare it by

shouting/ /tried to anticipate bear’s movements
    14. wondered how long he could keep his cool (for long

enough to fire a shot)
    15. thought he was very fortunate when the bear moved off

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the bad layout

my computer is messed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gortz1o1)
    Sorry for the bad layout

my computer is messed up
    Haha it's cool bro :P Thanks for ya help

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.