Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from UCL today for BSc Geography, but they've asked for AAA when I'm only predicted A*AB. Realistically, given that I can't afford as many resits as I'd like, the best I'll be able to do is probably AAB.

I'd love to firm UCL as it's my top choice, but I'm worried that they won't want me because of this. Is there anybody here who's managed to get into a top uni like UCL even after missing the mark slightly? Do I have a chance of them accepting me if I only achieve AAB?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you knew you couldnt achieve the grades required then why did you apply there?

Top Unis like UCL do not need to be lenient because they will have applicants who HAVE got the grades (and more so) queuing up on Results Day - they will not need to people like you to fill the course. Never, ever pick a risky Firm - it really isnt worth all the stress, and the likely disappointment in August.

Lots of advice here about making Firm & Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
    Read it ALL carefully, and remember you dont have to make this decision for MONTHS.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jm9)
    I got an offer from UCL today for BSc Geography, but they've asked for AAA when I'm only predicted A*AB. Realistically, given that I can't afford as many resits as I'd like, the best I'll be able to do is probably AAB.

I'd love to firm UCL as it's my top choice, but I'm worried that they won't want me because of this. Is there anybody here who's managed to get into a top uni like UCL even after missing the mark slightly? Do I have a chance of them accepting me if I only achieve AAB?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Get in touch with them and explain this. They might be able to offer you some reassurance (or they might be very clear that they never ever take anyone who misses their grades). Either way you'll have a better idea where you might stand if you firm them and then miss your offer.

If they're your top choice and there's a chance you could make the grades or they've indicated that they might be lenient then you can still have them as your firm. The trick is to then make sure you have a backup plan - pick an insurance choice that you really like and would be happy going to, check out the accommodation guarantee for your insurance and make sure you've applied for accom by any deadlines. And if you don't have any options for insurance that fit the bill make sure you're mentally prepared to take a year out and resit/reapply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    If you knew you couldnt achieve the grades required then why did you apply there?

Top Unis like UCL do not need to be lenient because they will have applicants who HAVE got the grades (and more so) queuing up on Results Day - they will not need to people like you to fill the course. Never, ever pick a risky Firm - it really isnt worth all the stress, and the likely disappointment in August.

Lots of advice here about making Firm & Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
    Read it ALL carefully, and remember you dont have to make this decision for MONTHS.
    I checked their entry requirements on their website before I applied, and it said AAA/AAB. I assumed that if I was to get an offer, they'd ask for AAB. If they had stated that they only want AAA grades then I wouldn't have applied. I don't know why they've sent me an offer when my predicted grades don't fit their standards.

But thanks, I'll give that a look and take my time making a decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jm9)
    I checked their entry requirements on their website before I applied, and it said AAA/AAB. I assumed that if I was to get an offer, they'd ask for AAB. If they had stated that they only want AAA grades then I wouldn't have applied. I don't know why they've sent me an offer when my predicted grades don't fit their standards.

But thanks, I'll give that a look and take my time making a decision!
    If a university states grade requirements in the form of, say, AAA/AAB then the higher level is the standard offer and the lower is contextual, i.e. for students from disadvantaged educational or social backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    An offer above your predictions is called an 'Aspirational Offer' - its an assumption that with some extra effort you could get the grades they require. This is usually an offer/prediction difference of one grade, and takes your GCSE or AS performance etc as an indicator of your potential.

BUT, this doesnt mean that that Uni is a soft touch. If you accept this offer, you WILL need to get those grades in August for a place.

So, how badly do you want to go to that Uni? Enough to really pull your finger out, get down to some serious study and rise to the challenge? Or will you just coast along doing whatever level study you've done up to now? Your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    If a university states grade requirements in the form of, say, AAA/AAB then the higher level is the standard offer and the lower is contextual, i.e. for students from disadvantaged educational or social backgrounds.
    Yeah, I looked it up and apparently it could also be an indicator of how much they want you - if they really wanted you, they could give you the AAB offer so it would be easier for you to get in. If they give you the AAA they're still interested, but not as much. I don't think I'm in with much of a chance tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydneybridge)
    An offer above your predictions is called an 'Aspirational Offer' - its an assumption that with some extra effort you could get the grades they require. This is usually an offer/prediction difference of one grade, and takes your GCSE or AS performance etc as an indicator of your potential.

BUT, this doesnt mean that that Uni is a soft touch. If you accept this offer, you WILL need to get those grades in August for a place.

So, how badly do you want to go to that Uni? Enough to really pull your finger out, get down to some serious study and rise to the challenge? Or will you just coast along doing whatever level study you've done up to now? Your choice.
    It's extremely unlikely that I'm going to turn that B to an A. I got a C in one of the AS papers which I'm not resitting, and that makes it almost impossible to get an A. It's going to be hard enough to get a B. I suppose I'll just contact them to see if I have a chance, and if not I'll have to let them go. Thanks for the info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jm9)
    Yeah, I looked it up and apparently it could also be an indicator of how much they want you - if they really wanted you, they could give you the AAB offer so it would be easier for you to get in. If they give you the AAA they're still interested, but not as much. I don't think I'm in with much of a chance tbh.
    Yes you are right, certainly for some unis. I got a low offer for Exeter and a very low offer from Portsmouth which were not contextual offers,probably because I had work experience, conservation work and extracurricular qualifications all relating to the course I applied for

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.