mimichan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello! This is my first thread! I am currently in my last year for GCSE's
and I am applying for college soon but unlike others I don't really have a career aspiration for the future , all I know is that I want to go to university.
I am more creative than academic but I know that universities prefer academic subjects so I want a good mix - the a-levels I want to take are
Photography,Art,History and Sociology

is this a good choice or not?
JuliaM1998
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I've heard that top unis don't really count arts as A levels so to do three a levels you'd have to do either art or photography and then do another academic instead
Walt_14
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
History and Sociology (particularly the former) are fine, but your first two choices may well hold you back if you're thinking of applying to Russell Group universities. The choice is yours, of course, but I reckon it'd be best if you substitute them with English Literature and something else, possibly along the lines of Chemistry/Maths to show you've an analytic mind. Or Government & Politics, whatever.
Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JuliaM1998)
I've heard that top unis don't really count arts as A levels so to do three a levels you'd have to do either art or photography and then do another academic instead
What do you mean by arts?
CameronE
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say history, art, english (literature more so over language as you are a more creative type of person) and one of your other selections would be a respectful combination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JuliaM1998
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Frannoooooooo)
What do you mean by arts?
Like Drama, Art, Photography, Music, Theatre Studies like creative subjects. That'll vary from uni to uni though so maybe see where you want to go and see if they count for as much as academic subjects
tcameron
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Apart from the History, your other subjects may be seen as 'soft' subjects and won't bide well when applying for Uni.
Frannoooooooo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Like Drama, Art, Photography, Music, Theatre Studies like creative subjects. That'll vary from uni to uni though so maybe see where you want to go and see if they count for as much as academic subjects
That's fine I just thought you were going to say arts like History, Languages, Geography etc aren't seen as academic

(and I'm not the thread starter by the way)
mimichan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ahh thank you guys! I'm not really aiming for a top uni but I'll consider what you guys have said!
J_1234
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mimichan)
Hello! This is my first thread! I am currently in my last year for GCSE's
and I am applying for college soon but unlike others I don't really have a career aspiration for the future , all I know is that I want to go to university.
I am more creative than academic but I know that universities prefer academic subjects so I want a good mix - the a-levels I want to take are
Photography,Art,History and Sociology

is this a good choice or not?
It is a good choice of subjects
However, not too sure on art as it is very time consistent considering you will be doing 3 other subjects in which two are essay based. Though Universities tend to like English literature.
maxisuper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP Art you can do in your free time - it shouldnt be an a level. All great artists owe their success to their own practice, not an a level syllabus.

Furthermore, sociology and photography? If you want to be unemployed or an unskilled worker you've made the right choice.

Seriously, photography and all that sociology crap, you could easily read a couple books every month and take photos once a week and know a lot more about those things than your a level counterparts.

Take subjects that will help you in life on paper. Ok so you don't like sciences... History is good, eng lit, politics, economics? Geography, etc
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Cambridge accepts Music for BA courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (344)
83.7%
No (67)
16.3%

Watched Threads