Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As I imagine many students are currently, I also am stressing out about getting offers from universities. Having sent my application earlier than most due to Oxford I have been waiting a long time for a reply from St Andrews, who release the greater majority of their offers after the 15th (today).

Despite Oxford, St Andrews has pretty much always been the uni I want to go to yet increasingly I have been becoming more worried about not getting an offer.

For people who have already got their offers (or are in the years above me) what would you say would be the minimum and safe GCSE/AS scores to be able to receive an offer?

I have applied for Theoretical Physics, I got 9 A* in GCSE and 3 A (Maths, Physics, Further Maths) in AS, is that enough?

Also I hope this isn't some taboo topic (grades and predicting offers) on here!

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aren73)
    As I imagine many students are currently, I also am stressing out about getting offers from universities. Having sent my application earlier than most due to Oxford I have been waiting a long time for a reply from St Andrews, who release the greater majority of their offers after the 15th (today).

Despite Oxford, St Andrews has pretty much always been the uni I want to go to yet increasingly I have been becoming more worried about not getting an offer.

For people who have already got their offers (or are in the years above me) what would you say would be the minimum and safe GCSE/AS scores to be able to receive an offer?

I have applied for Theoretical Physics, I got 9 A* in GCSE and 3 A (Maths, Physics, Further Maths) in AS, is that enough?

Also I hope this isn't some taboo topic (grades and predicting offers) on here!

Thank you!
    Your GCSEs make you stand out alot and you have all As for AS so I don't see why you should worry. St Andrews is like the Oxbridge in Scotland so it wont be that straightforward to get into, but your on Oxbridge calibre so I don't see why they should reject you. I have appalling GCSEs and I'm going start a course this September at UCL which is a university on par with St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    Yes your grades are fine. I got in to physics with 5As at higher and no advanced highers. I think what they really care about is your personal statement. Everyone applying has good grades so your personal statement is the thing that makes you stand out.

ReputationRep:
    How do highers/advanced work? Sorry, that is probably a really silly question but I am Polish, living in England, I don't really know how things work in Scotland (even though I have to say I think the place is great, proper mountains and everything!).

Another point of worry for me is that while I think my personal statement is solid I have had to suit it to more general physics rather than Theoretical Physics (which is what I have applied for) as Oxford doesn't do a Theoretical course, only Physics. Would that impact it a lot?

ReputationRep:
    How do highers/advanced work? Sorry, that is probably a really silly question but I am Polish, living in England, I don't really know how things work in Scotland (even though I have to say I think the place is great, proper mountains and everything!).

Another point of worry for me is that while I think my personal statement is solid I have had to suit it to more general physics rather than Theoretical Physics (which is what I have applied for) as Oxford doesn't do a Theoretical course, only Physics. Would that impact it a lot?
    Highers are the courses that we do in out penultimate year of high school and advanced highers are the course that we do in our final year of high school. I left I year early so I didn't do them.
    yep Scotland is great, although pretty cold in winter.
    I was applying for chemistry and physics when I wrote mine so I had to be very general to cover both subjects. I think I just wrote about my love of science.

ReputationRep:

Son is a lot like you. He was not accepted by Cambridge but instead did Theoretical Physics at Nottingham. He had A levels in Maths, Further maths and Physics.He is now at St Andrews doing a PhD. And he loves it there. So keep goig - you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry if you don't hear back from St Andrews for another couple of months yet. They tend to be quite late in sending out most of their offers so if you don't hear back for a while yet it's not a bad sign. I know how horrible the waiting game is though. Like you I sent my UCAS application before the Oxbridge deadline but was really hoping for a place from St Andrews, and finally got an offer in March! It was so worth the wait though so try not to worry too much and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a first year physicist at St Andrews. As far as I've found, they put a lot of emphasis on personal statements but your grades sound better than mine were. They're very late sending out offers though so don't worry if you don't hear for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Also, everyone goes into general physics in first year, there's no distinction, so it doesn't matter which branch you apply for.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.