Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

I am wanting to do Law at University and I am currently in my final year of A-Levels and I was wondering whether anyone knows of any work experience programmes that are going on in the Manchester/Yorkshire region?

I am finding it extremely difficult to find some work experience in Law and I would really like some to make myself stand out.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately finding legal work experience at sixth form is difficult, but there are some options which you could give a shot.

1). Pinsent Masons offers a gap year work experience programme which is worth a look at.
    2). Go to law firms (high street ones) and ask whether it would be possible to shadow someone for a couple of days/a week. They will be impressed by your confidence and initiative and so will probably accept you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you meet the social mobility criteria, check out the PRIME initiative.

Many firms are signed up and they agree the give the number of half the number of training contracts they provide as work experience programmes for years 9-13.

http://primecommitment.org/schools/students

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    @Jani: Hey! I've already applied to Pinsent masons but thanks anyway

@JSP: thanks! I've emailed them

Also, was wondering whether I should email or send letters to firms instead?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 345423KNL)
    @Jani: Hey! I've already applied to Pinsent masons but thanks anyway

@JSP: thanks! I've emailed them

Also, was wondering whether I should email or send letters to firms instead?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't be afraid to contact firms directly if you meet the PRIME criteria. You should say you understand that they are a PRIME member and please could they provide you with details as to how to apply to their PRIME programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    @J-SP Thanks! Never thought of doing that I'll start making a list of PRIME members, Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    @J-SP Thanks! Never thought of doing that I'll start making a list of PRIME members, Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries! 1) it's a fairly new thing so many don't know about it 2) if you show you know about it (and you meet the criteria) you will grab their attention if you speculatively apply and especially off your own back rather than via someone at your school.

Don't be too despondent if you still get nos. There programmes might be full or they have agreements with schools in the local areas.

But if you contact them and give them some indication of when you would like to come in for work experience, that's a good place to start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great! Thank you!

Sorry one more question :/, what would you write and should I attach my CV and Cover Letter with it?

Thank you so much again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great! Thank you!

Sorry one more question :/, what would you write and should I attach my CV and Cover Letter with it?

Thank you so much again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes - I would write a one page covering letter and attach your CV. Put a subject heading of "PRIME - work experience programme" or "Speculative application for PRIME work experience programme".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great! Thank you very much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great! Thank you!

Thank you so much again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try some barristers chambers. Chambers are generally a bit freer in how they can organise informal work placements than firms are, and several chambers regularly accept 16-18 year-olds for small stints.

(In case you don't believe me: )

http://www.studentladder.co.uk/Law/law-placements.html

ReputationRep:
    Contacts. You might not think you have any, but you really do. If you want this enough, then put as many feelers out and follow up any leads, no matter how tenuous.

Not something I've tried as I'm lucky enough to have good contacts through my parents, but once you have secured the one placement you can play a game of Chamber-Firm ping pong. If you get a mini at a Chambers, ask their instructing solicitor if you can have a placement at their Firm. When at said firm, ask one of the Barrister's they instruct for a placement, and so on..

What part of the Country are you located?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Vimto!

In Yorkshire but I can easily commute to Leeds, Manchester

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.