Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What A-Level subjects would you put under the banner of hard, hard-medium, medium, soft-medium and soft?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walt_14)
    What A-Level subjects would you put under the banner of hard, hard-medium, medium, soft-medium and soft?
    Hard
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Languages

Hard Medium
    Maths
    Biology
    History
    Literature

Medium
    Religious Studies
    Economics
    English language

Soft Medium
    Sociology
    Psychology
    Geography

Soft
    IT
    Business
    PE
    Law
    Media

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Hard
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Languages

Hard Medium
    Maths
    Biology
    History
    Literature

Medium
    Religious Studies
    Economics
    English language

Soft Medium
    Sociology
    Psychology
    Geography

Soft
    IT
    Business
    PE
    Law
    Media
    I guess additional further maths is so easy that it doesn't get a place then? Way too easy to be in 'soft'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    I guess additional further maths is so easy that it doesn't get a place then? Way too easy to be in 'soft'.
    Just like Travel & Tourism, Film Studies and Photography may as well be top-ranking seeing as s/he never mentioned those either?

ReputationRep:
    Just like Travel & Tourism, Film Studies and Photography may as well be top-ranking seeing as s/he never mentioned those either?
    I noticed because additional further maths is harder than the hardest one mentioned(further maths) and as far as I know it's the hardest A-level, so should be mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    I noticed because additional further maths is harder than the hardest one mentioned(further maths) and as far as I know it's the hardest A-level, so should be mentioned.
    I'm sure he would've added it if he remembered but it's hardly a mainstream A-Level, is it? How many schools do you know that offer it?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Hard
    Further Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Languages

Hard Medium
    Maths
    Biology
    History
    Literature

Medium
    Religious Studies
    Economics
    English language

Soft Medium
    Sociology
    Psychology
    Geography

Soft
    IT
    Business
    PE
    Law
    Media
    :lolwut: Is Maths that easy? I thought it'd be as difficult as Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure he would've added it if he remembered but it's hardly a mainstream A-Level, is it? How many schools do you know that offer it?
    I don't know any, but that just makes it harder because you have to self-study it. Thus more justification for it being included.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly anyone actually does additional further maths. He didn't need to list every single alevel did he?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    Hardly anyone actually does additional further maths. He didn't need to list every single alevel did he?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As I said, it's the hardest, so deserves a spot(at the top).
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Economics is harder than people think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ffs general studies has not been included in the elite subject tier. I pray thee has the sense to rectify this absurd error

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    Economics is harder than people think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will agree that economics is not hard but very hard to get a top grade.

ReputationRep:
    Further maths is variable depending on the units

CONSIDER

Further maths
    FP1
    FP2
    FP3
    M3
    M4
    M5
    (assuming person did M1/M2 in straight)

and

Further maths
    FP1
    FP2
    S2
    M2
    S3
    D1
    (assuming person did M1/S1 in straight)

ReputationRep:
    As I said, it's the hardest, so deserves a spot(at the top).
    Not necessarily. Your module combination could mean you end up doing something like D1, S1 and S2 as apart of Additional further maths meaning the normal Further maths would be considerably more difficult

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TajwarC)
    Not necessarily. Your module combination could mean you end up doing something like D1, S1 and S2 as apart of Additional further maths meaning the normal Further maths would be considerably more difficult
    Additional is generally the last three/six modules to be chosen, which means it will usually be the hardest by module choice.

Your thoughts roughly: normal/further: C1-4, M1-5, FP1-3
    Additional: S1-2, D1, three of FP4, S3, S4, D2(last three if to A2)

But you would only usually take M3-5, S4 or FP4 if you were taking additional. Not many schools teach these, so you will only normally study these modules as a result of studying additional.
    So studying additional will make you study harder modules regardless of which modules get assigned for each individual A-level. The difficulty of additional can be considered as the hardest three/six modules you take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I will agree that economics is not hard but very hard to get a top grade.
    As a current A2 student doing Economics I concur completely. The content is relatively straightforward and accessible but the examinations can be very tough...it's a very applicable subject and some questions can really stretch your knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Additional is generally the last three/six modules to be chosen, which means it will usually be the hardest by module choice.

Your thoughts roughly: normal/further: C1-4, M1-5, FP1-3
    Additional: S1-2, D1, three of FP4, S3, S4, D2(last three if to A2)

But you would only usually take M3-5, S4 or FP4 if you were taking additional. Not many schools teach these, so you will only normally study these modules as a result of studying additional.
    So studying additional will make you study harder modules regardless of which modules get assigned for each individual A-level. The difficulty of additional can be considered as the hardest three/six modules you take.
    Looking at the grade statistics for additional further maths we can observe that:

a) only 58 people sat additional further maths last year, compared with 25k+ normal maths and 4k+ further maths.

b) statistically speaking it is subject a candidate is most likely to get an A* in, with over 50% of candidates getting the top grade (although this obviously does not mean it is easy)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    Looking at the grade statistics for additional further maths we can observe that:

a) only 58 people sat additional further maths last year, compared with 25k+ normal maths and 4k+ further maths.

b) statistically speaking it is subject a candidate is most likely to get an A* in, with over 50% of candidates getting the top grade (although this obviously does not mean it is easy)
    Ok, so it's not common. I didn't think it was, but I thought it was a bit more common than that. Is there any equivalent data for AS additional further maths? I feel that is more common.

You can't really use statistics in a concrete way in this instance because the candidates are self-selecting and are the best in the country. To take it, all candidates will be at A* level in both maths and further maths.
    We can also talk about sample sizes if you want, 58 is a small sample(and non-random). The probability of the mean UMS being skewed due to chance is high.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so it's not common. I didn't think it was, but I thought it was a bit more common than that. Is there any equivalent data for AS additional further maths? I feel that is more common.

You can't really use statistics in a concrete way in this instance because the candidates are self-selecting and are the best in the country. To take it, all candidates will be at A* level in both maths and further maths.
    We can also talk about sample sizes if you want, 58 is a small sample(and non-random). The probability of the mean UMS being skewed due to chance is high.
    Using this part of the website and AS statistics it's 137, compared to the 6k+ further maths and 39k+ normal maths. Still not that popular in comparison.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.