as requested- A thread to discuss the outcome of the new HP Watch

This discussion is closed.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Well...having seen the previous Harry Potter thread and wanting to know the opinions of people who had read it- without of course ruining the plot for others- I have set up this thread

I personally enjoyed it but was saddened by the death of poor padfoot *sigh*...if only the films were a small percentage of the books....(slight change of subject but nevermind)

Anyway...say what you will...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
just to let you know...dumbledore dies!
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Erm...that may be true eventually but not in the order of the pheonix he doesn't...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
lots of questions left unaswered which i suppose sets up Book VI whenever we may get that one...

1) why exactly did petunia agree to take harry. what does "remember my last" mean

2) how has snape been helping the order and why does dumbledore trust him even though he was a death eater

3) why did dumbledore choose the centaur as the new teacher

there's many more but i cant remember right now...

i'm really curious as to who will be cast as Voldermot in the movies..
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
don't even get me started on the films... they were aimed at children + the books can be taken at a much higher level.

i loved book V + although it was dark, i found it so funny- just all the decrees and things like that.

i want to know why it was harry who the prophecy was about + not neville- how come voldemort knew which one to try and kill when they were a baby or is that part of the reason the longbottoms were attacked?

how come sirius ended up a 'goody' (for want of a better word) when his entire family were obviously 'baddies'?

can't wait for the next one... does anyone even know if/when she's starting it?
miss_han
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
im sorry, but i wasnt that impressed with the 5th book. i waited until after my a-levels to read it, and frankly i could had waited longer. i thought that it took a long time to get going, and did not have so much of the original "Rowling" style.

I liked to see the story develop, but to put the books into comparison, when i read book 4 and cedric died, i cried and cried. The tension was built up and i thought it was extremely well written, but when Padfoot died in this book, i barely noticed it, let alone get emotional about it.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Crying and getting upset about the death of a fictional character! :eek:

I don't understand this Harry Potter thing at all...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Who DIes on thos book, I have heard Padfoot {Whoever that is}, Ron Weasley, And Albus Dumbledore, please tell me I must know. I am vey poor and can't afford to buy the book, can only borrow it from the library where there is one copy and 500 people on the list
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Who is Padfoot??
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ok, first for the person who wants to know who Padfoot is, I advise that you read book 3, and you'll get the answer.
About the prophecy, well Harry was half-blood, and so was Voldemort, so this makes it only possible for Harry to be the one, as he is Voldie's equal. Maybe it was luck that Voldemort attacked Harry, or maybe it was something that had to happen, and therefore it did. But then it's probably a totally different thing.
As for Sirius being good, while the rest of the family was bad, I don't really think there's a real reason. I'm guessing that he was the black sheep of the family. He was sorted into Gryffindor because of the good qualities he had, and got in with the right sort of crowd.
These are just my opinions to the questions.
I really did like the book, but the beginning was a little weird, as if it was written in a different style. I hated it when Sirius died, even though I could sort of see it coming the way Rowling portrayed him in the book, although was hoping I was wrong. He was one of my favourite characters. I also thought that Fred and George were brilliant in the book, and they left school with a bang.
What do you guys think will happen to Percy. I hated him in this book. He was a traitor and blind to the truth. I can't believe that he cut of ties with his family. At this point in the book, I believe that Ron might have been right. Percy might really have sent one of his family to the dementors, as he was as bad as Fudge. Do you think that he'll be accepted back by his family, as surely he knows the truth, and knows what an idiot he's been. I reckon that his parents would accept him, but it would be tough for his siblings to do so quickly.

And lastly (for now at least) d'you reckon Harry will die in book 7, cos Rowling's being totally mysterious about it. She might have a mini riot in her hands if she did so though.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i want 2 know, if voldemort was a half-blood himself, how can he be so hypocritical & punish all half bloods with his cruelty & hatred?! surely he must hate himself too!
rachelina*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Its sort of like Hitler innit? He loved blondes and blue eyed kids, when he was a short, tubby ugly man with a weird-ass moustache
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
everybody can go and suck ****
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I just finished reading the book! FINALLY! it took me absolutely hours! But it was very enjoyable! better than book 4...

I thought the book started off really well - it was well-written etc etc, BUT the end .... it just wasnt as twisty and suspensful as usual! I mean, when padfoot dies, I didnt feel convinced that he was truely gone. Somehow, Rowling didn't manage to evoke any feeling about his death as it happened. It was so sudden.. u know? only later when harry was looking thro his stuff & found the mirror did he realise (and onyl then was I convinced) that that was the end of padfoot. only then did i feel a pang of sadness. i mean he was the character that gave hope that harry would have some idea of a loving family *sniff*
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Originally posted by rachelina*
Its sort of like Hitler innit? He loved blondes and blue eyed kids, when he was a short, tubby ugly man with a weird-ass moustache
that is so true! i wonder if that's where Rowling got her inspiration from! lol
rachelina*
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know! I was the same. I was sure up until the mirror and ghost scene that Sirius was coming back. sigh*..I was crying for about half an hour while reading the end and after it. Especially since Sirius' good side was revealed the most in this book. Pre-reading the book I actually thought it was Hagrid going coz of the comments of the actor playing him. By the last page, I was like 'Why didn't HAGRID die you evil lady'
I do get too involved in books sometimes. *ahem*
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey are some of you people fools who havnt actually read the book or is it just me completly forgeting, did the book not explain why it was harry and not neville that was attacked, Voldemort didnt get the whole prophecy he didnt know there were 2. An as for sirus dying i think the reason it was so non emotional is because JKR has him planned to come back in the next 2 books.
in My opinion book 5 rules.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That doesn't make sense. If J K Rowling intends to bring Sirius back in the next 2 books (which I would love), then why would she be so upset about supposedly killing him. Remember she was in tears when she finished that chapter. I wish he was not dead, as I had always wished that Harry would go live with him.
Did Voldemort not know that Neville's parents had evaded him three times as well then? Cos he just went straight to try and kill Harry.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well im not entirely sure i'll have to read the book again for the 3rd time! i just think the way sirius just fell into the veil thing, and, well, u know, hardly an amazing death so i think he'll b back.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I hope that you are right. I think that Sirius is a brilliant character. I really thought that he might die by jumping in front of Harry, and maybe getting hit by a curse which kills him (Avada Kedavra), and therefore saving his life. Then, he would have gone out with a bang. I know that in a way he went out to try and save Harry's life, but it's not the same.
J K Rowling, BRING SIRIUS BACK!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (246)
27.27%
No (656)
72.73%

Watched Threads