Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So right now I'm considering taking a gap year and reapplying for university next year (to study Natural Sciences or Chemical Physics). So this August I would have completed A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths (along with AS Further Maths and Physics). During the gap year I'd do A2 Physics and Further Maths. This is all dependent on me achieving at least A*AA come August. I'd rather get this clear now rather than wait until August.

Basically for some of the Natural Sciences courses and Chemical Physics I'd need A2 Physics which I won't already have; meaning any offers I get next year would have a condition, I assume, for a grade in A2 Physics alone. I'd also apply for Chemistry of some sort (for which I have all the required A-Levels) and would most likely receive an unconditional offer for that. Say I get an offer from a university for Natural Sciences/Chemical Physics that requires an A in Physics, along with an unconditional for Chemistry, could I put the unconditional as an insurance in case I don't meet the requirements for the Natural Sciences/Chemical Physics course?

The reason I ask is because I seem to have a feeling that you cannot put unconditional offers as insurance. In which case firming an offer without having an insurance could land me in trouble if something goes wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can have an unconditional insurance with a conditional firm. You can't have any insurance with an unconditional firm, because of course you don't need one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Yes, you can have an unconditional insurance with a conditional firm. You can't have any insurance with an unconditional firm, because of course you don't need one.
    Okay that clears this one up quite nicely. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TajwarC)

The reason I ask is because I seem to have a feeling that you cannot put unconditional offers as insurance. In which case firming an offer without having an insurance could land me in trouble if something goes wrong!
    I am guessing the reason you think this is because some universities give out "unconditional" offers that are actually conditional on you firming them. These are often used by unis to try to persuade the best applicants to firm them. If you insure them, you have to meet whatever conditions stated in the offer, so they can still be used as an insurance.

When you already have some grades and are retaking/taking additional qualifications, it's more normal to get proper unconditional offers, and these can be put as your insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    I am guessing the reason you think this is because some universities give out "unconditional" offers that are actually conditional on you firming them. These are often used by unis to try to persuade the best applicants to firm them. If you insure them, you have to meet whatever conditions stated in the offer, so they can still be used as an insurance.

When you already have some grades and are retaking/taking additional qualifications, it's more normal to get proper unconditional offers, and these can be put as your insurance.
    Yeah I was just making sure that the 'proper' ones can be put as insurance. Thanks

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.