Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so this thread was inspired by debz1231's thread where she posted saying she wanted to make a website like Facebook but better (link). I've thought this for a while but never actually had a discussion with other people about it so I'd like to here everyone's thoughts on my opinion.

------------------

Social network sites, if successful seem to have a limited life span, so even if you did develop the "next Facebook" you might find yourself having 5-10 years of success before people get bored of your new social networking website and it is no longer "cool".

Look at MySpace, it was the first very popular social networking website that I remember, then it was Bebo who boomed next and Facebook followed Bebo's decline which mainly was because of the AOL takeover imo.

Facebook is declining, it's not used as much as it used to be whereas the emergence of applications like Snapchat and Instagram are getting more and more popular. I'd say they're both more popular than Facebook.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yes, once someone comes up with an improved idea (something beyond just minor improvement of an existing social network over time) then it will start the decline of the old social network.

ReputationRep:
    Everything has a limited lifetime.

ReputationRep:
    if facebook keep innovating then you never know

ReputationRep:
    It's not the social network, but the method of networking. For Example facebook has stayed alive because we wanted to chat instantly, we wanted video chat, we want our pictures to be formatted to albums when shared, we wanted smart tagging, we wanted a big picture above our main picture, we want to know if/when people read our messages.....

All upgrades and changes facebook make are what keep it alive. Everytime a new upgrade/change comes out, the majority moan. But then we learn to love it. Nothing has a limited lifetime if it can just be changed into something new.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they do.

MySpace has been and gone, I think Facebook is struggling (but still pretty stable atm)... It all depends on trends I guess. Nature is that we use things, then get bored of them and want a change. I know I'm guilty of it for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamCee)
    Of course they do.

MySpace has been and gone, I think Facebook is struggling (but still pretty stable atm)... It all depends on trends I guess. Nature is that we use things, then get bored of them and want a change. I know I'm guilty of it for sure
    MySpace failed to function as a proper social network site, especially after its buyout. That is an example of where the networking has failed to keep up with the user. No one wants to network like the way we did back on myspace now, it feels childish.

I can see what you mean by facebook is struggling, especially with things like twitter/instagram, however, the developers learn to integrate those in, keeping it going...

ReputationRep:
    I give to 2025 and then we'll be communicating through Virtual Reality on Tron's Grid and the holographic cards like in Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook is an example of when a social network reaches a tipping point and becomes the easiest way to communicate. With a captive audience, it can make a grab for offering a number of different ways to communicate (group, chat, share links, photos...) in one convenient package, these are likely to take. Facebook thus occupies a monopoly position.

The only way to take down Facebook once it dominates all communication methods is to offer:
    1. something it can't do, like anonymity. Example: Snapchat.
    2. a niche communication method (rather than all of them) which is so much better than Facebook's offering that it overcomes Facebook's convenience advantage. Example: Instagram.
    3. be first to market before Facebook even gets there. Example: Skype.
    4. a different sort of community. Example: Twitter (celebrities, news, promotion, not RL friends).

Even then Facebook has such a big user base that it will keep going as a zombie for years and years and years, it has already entered this stage now. With acquisitions it outstays its welcome even more.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno i think facebook has entwined itself into our daily life. Even though I don't check or update my facebook as much as I did it's still my number one choice for talking to my friends.

I think what facebook has done differently to bebo and myspace etc is grab EVERYONES attention. You've now got all ages on facebook I regularly see older people creating a facebook account to keep up with XYZ relative who doesn't live locally. Organisations from the biggest FTSE companies to little lucys lemonade stand use facebook to promote their business.

Whilst facebook might not last forever I think it has reached a much bigger audience and is so ubiquitous in our daily life that it will have a much longer shelf life than other social networks.

ReputationRep:
    It depends entirely upon how the company reacts in response to what their customers actually want. When Facebook came along it came with a central timeline which was a massive plus over posting on people's MySpace pages. Then it added chat functionality and has continuously added features not only to draw customers into using Facebook but to also draw in businesses and developers.

I think the typical social network does have a limited lifetime but Facebook is not the typical social network anymore and is incredibly advanced. People have bought into it massively and their social lives are entwined into it to such a degree that leaving it can be alienating for some. Others simply join up because they want to keep up to date with everything that is going on. I believe Facebook will see a mass decline in the number of users, especially as teenagers decide to use more modern alternatives instead but I don't predict it completely dying at all. Facebook has become so rich as well that it is swallowing up a lot of the emerging threats as well. It has already purchased Instagram and WhatsApp, of which was probably one of the biggest threats to its Facebook Chat function.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.