Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone on TSR. This is my very first thread or whatever you guys called it. *Repost, because I think first time I put it in the wrong thread by accident*

I am a 17 year old student in NZ approaching my final year in high-school. I would be grateful if you guys could chance me on my following options. (P.s. I know that these are considered prestigious colleges, but I really want to get into one, particularly LSE)

1. Cambridge
    2. London School Of Economics and Political Science
    3. Imperial College
    4. University College London
    5. Warwick

Grades: (so far)

In NZ We use this system called NCEA, and I have provided rough translation of grades

1.Level 3 Calculus Excellence endorsed ~ A* (As top 8-10% get A* it, which is about equivalent to E endorsed [don't crucify me if I am incorrect])
    2.Level 2 Mathematics Excellence endorsed ~ A* (Did it one year early a few years back)
    3.Level 2 Physics Excellence endorsed ~ A*
    3.Level 2 Chemistry Excellence endorsed ~ A*
    4.Level 2 Accounting Excellence endorsed ~ A*
    5.Level 2 Economics Merit endorsed ~ A (not sure how M's equate as our system is a lot broader)
    6.Level 2 english Merit endorsed ~ A?

Extra Curricular Activities: (Sorry I couldn't be bothered doing descriptions as I am on the mobile version)

1.Monetary Policy Challenge - Distinction Award (I think they have target 2.0 in England)
    2.Chairman of student Council ( I am school & year councilor)
    3.Co-Captain of School Debating team
    4.Founder and president of School wide tutorial group (We help people, that's how we roll. Around 15-20 percent of year group is involved somehow)
    5.Royal Society of NZ Crest award (Bunch of science research, mentor was professor at local uni)
    6.School Run Exchange program (I ran a few orientations for new overseas students)
    7.Peer Supporter
    8.Started a Business and Investment Club with friend (We basically perform mock stock exchange with a program)
    9.Premiere 1 Table tennis championship
    10. Top 1% in science and top 2% in math for a internationally run comp (These were my best results)
    11. Captained a Bunch of Maths comps, and did a lot of problem solving stuff

Work Experience:

Interned at a Finance firm my cousin owns (quite large in China) doing market research on bank equity loan transfers and analysis on certain credit regulations

Volunteer Service:

Volunteered 100+ Hours at local childcare

2015 Plans:

In my final year I plan to take a few university level courses in Economics, and do scholarship exams in most of my subjects (Insanely hard papers :'() I will also continue my extra crics, and maybe make it more accessible for students to form their own clubs (our school needs more!)

P.s.s (I know that in UCAS it is quite hard to list all the things I have previously mentioned, any advice?)

Cheers for any feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Cambridge aren't as bothered about extra-curricular activities (obviously they want something but that isn't their focus) but do want the top grades.

All are excellent unis though and will have high grade requirements. Not being familiar with the NZ system I can't give you specifics though I'm afraid.

Put the extra-curricular activities most related to your course in your personal statement (4000 characters max) and relate them to your course. Presumably your teachers will write a reference for you like they do here, where other activities can be mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aadawg)
    Hey everyone on TSR. This is my very first thread or whatever you guys called it. *Repost, because I think first time I put it in the wrong thread by accident*

I am a 17 year old student in NZ approaching my final year in high-school. I would be grateful if you guys could chance me on my following options. (P.s. I know that these are considered prestigious colleges, but I really want to get into one, particularly LSE)

1. Cambridge
    3. Imperial College
    5. Warwick

In NZ We use this system called NCEA, and I have provided rough translation of grades

1.Level 3 Calculus Excellence endorsed ~ A* (As top 8-10% get A* it, which is about equivalent to E endorsed [don't crucify me if I am incorrect])
    2.Level 2 Mathematics Excellence endorsed ~ A* (Did it one year early a few years back)
    5.Level 2 Economics Merit endorsed ~ A (not sure how M's equate as our system is a lot broader)

You should contact universities directly to establish the level of exam results they want. Not many people apply from New Zealand so qualifications from there are rarely listed on course requirements.

Hopefully you are aware that the five universities you list are extremely competitive, particularly for courses such as economics/maths which is presumably your area of interest. As such, you might want to spread your net a little wider to ensure you get a realistic offer.

As mentioned above, unis will only be interested in those extra-curriculars which are related to your subject.

Note that applications to Cambridge (and Oxford) have to be submitted earlier than to other universities. See the Ucas website for details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aadawg)

1. Cambridge
    3. Imperial College
    5. Warwick

Extra Curricular Activities: (Sorry I couldn't be bothered doing descriptions as I am on the mobile version)

1.Monetary Policy Challenge - Distinction Award (I think they have target 2.0 in England)
    2.Chairman of student Council ( I am school & year councilor)
    3.Co-Captain of School Debating team
    4.Founder and president of School wide tutorial group (We help people, that's how we roll. Around 15-20 percent of year group is involved somehow)
    5.Royal Society of NZ Crest award (Bunch of science research, mentor was professor at local uni)
    6.School Run Exchange program (I ran a few orientations for new overseas students)
    7.Peer Supporter
    8.Started a Business and Investment Club with friend (We basically perform mock stock exchange with a program)
    9.Premiere 1 Table tennis championship
    10. Top 1% in science and top 2% in math for a internationally run comp (These were my best results)
    11. Captained a Bunch of Maths comps, and did a lot of problem solving stuff

Work Experience:

Interned at a Finance firm my cousin owns (quite large in China) doing market research on bank equity loan transfers and analysis on certain credit regulations

Volunteer Service:

Volunteered 100+ Hours at local childcare

2015 Plans:

In my final year I plan to take a few university level courses in Economics, and do scholarship exams in most of my subjects (Insanely hard papers :'() I will also continue my extra crics, and maybe make it more accessible for students to form their own clubs (our school needs more!)

P.s.s (I know that in UCAS it is quite hard to list all the things I have previously mentioned, any advice?)

Cheers for any feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    these are very competitive unis to get into. 1 in 5 or 6 chance. you would be best advised not to apply to more than 2 or 3 of these and ensure you have a couple of others that are less competitive in case of rejection.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.