Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dentistry Application watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    Following on from my previous post, My objective is to get on to the Dentistry course next year (2016). I will be starting college this September studying the level 3 access course below (this is the course of action that has been recommended). So by the time of my application I will have completed this course alongside gaining English/Maths GCSE A's and get the highest possible score on my UKCAT test. Also hoping to do 1-2 Months work experience in a dental practice and learn a musical instrument to show dexterity.

http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.u...ical-science-2

I understand just how hard it is to get on to a dentistry course due to so much top class students out there My question is with the above completed I will be applying at the age of 23, I know nobody can say for sure but how likely is it that I will even get interviewed when I haven't got the perfect background ? I've worked since 17 and have worked as a recruitment consultant for the last couple of years helping young people get into apprenticeships with large corporate companies so don't know if that could go in my favour ?

I have my heart set on my goal and I know I have the determination but just don't want to be unrealistic. Thanks for any guidance !

ReputationRep:
    Oh btw I plan to apply for Manchester , Leeds and Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    I have also seen that there is a 6 year course, with a foundation year would I be better suited to that if its more lenient on what candidates they accept ?

ReputationRep:
    Universities have widened participation a lot recently, so it's definitely achievable if you work hard! Foundation years are generally more suitable for those who have a less traditional educational background, so I would recommend applying for those! (But check with individual uni websites first)
    Learning a musical instrument specifically for your application won't really help much (the early grades don't really utilise it that much anyway!), and there are other ways you can show this. I don't think any dentistry applicants at my college play an instrument, and several have had interviews! If you have another extra-curricular to put down then do that, but otherwise they're not the be all and end all so I'd focus on your exams if I were you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.