Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, does anyone know or can name recent historical works (books/articles) which had shed light on an area dramatically? I'm not talking about old works, but recents ones. For instance an old groundbreaking work would be Elizabeth A. R. Brown's 'The Tyranny of a Construct' where she essentially argued that the popular perception of feudalism is wrong and the idea significantly skews and generalises our view of medieval Europe. So does anyone know some modern, recent examples?

ReputationRep:
    Peter Hitchens The Abolition of Britain or The War We Never Fought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Peter Hitchens The Abolition of Britain or The War We Never Fought.
    Thank you! Sound like interesting reads...what are they about/main arguments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistorian19)
    Thank you! Sound like interesting reads...what are they about/main arguments?
    The Abolition of Britain is about the decline of Britain and why it is happening. The War We Never Fought basically says there has never been a war on drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistorian19)
    Just out of interest, does anyone know or can name recent historical works (books/articles) which had shed light on an area dramatically? I'm not talking about old works, but recents ones. For instance an old groundbreaking work would be Elizabeth A. R. Brown's 'The Tyranny of a Construct' where she essentially argued that the popular perception of feudalism is wrong and the idea significantly skews and generalises our view of medieval Europe. So does anyone know some modern, recent examples?
    I suspect it it quite difficult to find entire books that turn an accepted idea around, however looking at journal articles on a topic may be fruitful, the genesis of some books often start with an academic debate within periodicals over a number of years.

For instance one somewhat dry area (unless you like economic history, which I do) revolves around the Agrarian Revolution (or not) in England, with a string of articles appearing in various journals e.g.Economic History Review, on the subject over years.

IMHO it tends to be more journal articles with differing interpretations which are groundbreaking rather than books, but that may be because that is how I studied history at university where I read very few textbooks and innumerable journals.

For example the following book review by Overton and tracking into the cited articles, gives a picture of the debate.

http://www.bahs.org.uk/AGHR/ARTICLES/38n2a6.pdf

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.