Turn on thread page Beta

Slight problem/dilemma need help!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a year 13 student studying Maths(A2),Chem(A2) and Biology(AS).I have applied for university of Huddersfield and i want to study chemistry.They replied back to me gave me a conditional offer of 280ucas points and min. C grade in chemistry.On the application I have written that currently I have got a B(1 mark away from A) in maths and grade C in chemistry(This was all done in 4-6weeks so yea...capable to do better) this is just AS level units.I have put down that I will be doing resits in some modules and also studying biology.But i feel that I will not meet the demand of getting 280ucas points.So i suggested to my self that if I do physics at a different school(Private exam-Just get entered for exam)preferably just AS level just to get the points up,is this possible?It is confusing but I mean that I am going to study physics in my own time but I haven't put it down on my ucas application.When results day comes and say for example. I get 260 ucas points(exclude physics) and i get a grade E in physics AS which is 20 ucas points?This will pull my points to 280ucas points.How should I tell my university that I studied physics,will this cause chaos?Will they reject the offer in this situation?Will they say why didnt you tell us earlier?.So basically i want to study a subject in my own time which I havent put on my application to boost my points on results day,will they still accept me?How should I tell them and will it cause any problems?Thanks I wish someone could really help me with this problem...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Your offer is based on the exams you listed in your application.

If you change those exams by adding or dropping subjects then your unis will be entitled change their offers.

Huddersfield are asking you to get BBC. If you don't think you will be likely to get those grades but want to pick them as your firm then make sure you either pick a great insurance that you'd be happy with or be prepared to take a gap year to resit.

Trying to fiddle the system like this wont work - they're not obliged to consider qualifications you didn't tell them about when they made the offer. Instead of splitting your attention you would be better focusing your efforts on getting the grades asked for. There's loads of help and support on tsr.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for reply but what they asked for I will be doing all those qualifications but I wanted to do a As in physics too but my school would not let me so i will sit it in another school but I haven't put that qualification on my ucas since I can only send 1 application and that will be from my current school.So say when I get my results and I show them i have a As in physics too, will they consider it or no?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CrazyFoxes)
    thanks for reply but what they asked for I will be doing all those qualifications but I wanted to do a As in physics too but my school would not let me so i will sit it in another school but I haven't put that qualification on my ucas since I can only send 1 application and that will be from my current school.So say when I get my results and I show them i have a As in physics too, will they consider it or no?
    If you enter yourself for a new qualification you must inform UCAS and your universities directly asap. Your unis will then be entitled to amend the conditions of any offers you hold.

If you wait until results day to tell them or don't declare the change then they not only don't have to take the extra AS into account - they can nullify your offer for submitting a fraudulent/misleading application.

If you want to take the as then go for it. But notify you universities and ucas and don't expect it to count towards your offer conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you enter yourself for a new qualification you must inform UCAS and your universities directly asap. Your unis will then be entitled to amend the conditions of any offers you hold.

If you wait until results day to tell them or don't declare the change then they not only don't have to take the extra AS into account - they can nullify your offer for submitting a fraudulent/misleading application.

If you want to take the as then go for it. But notify you universities and ucas and don't expect it to count towards your offer conditions.

But since my old school wouldn't let me study as physics , will this mean a problem with ucas and my current school?Will they phone my current school and stuff?Thing is at my current school they wouldn't allow me doing it and they got pretty angry about it.Ill rather not do the extra subject/modules if its going to cause a big problem.

p.s What about if i enter clearing or adjustment will I be able to enter the extra as level?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CrazyFoxes)
    But since my old school wouldn't let me study as physics , will this mean a problem with ucas and my current school?Will they phone my current school and stuff?Thing is at my current school they wouldn't allow me doing it and they got pretty angry about it.Ill rather not do the extra subject/modules if its going to cause a big problem.

p.s What about if i enter clearing or adjustment will I be able to enter the extra as level?
    You could have included a second external exam centre on your initial application. You jsut enter the exam centre with part time attendance for the months of the exams/results and then attach your qualifications to that centre.

You'll need to know the details of your new exam to inform UCAS - that means exam centre number and address as well as the exam board etc. To inform UCAS you just email the address at the bottom of this page: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...making-changes

Once UCAS confirm that they've received the details you contact each of your universities to let them know about the changes.

They wont contact your school about exams taken at a different centre.

If UCAS have recorded the extra AS then that would be included on your application to any universities through clearing/adjustment. You only need to inform universities that you applied to before the change is confirmed with UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    Since my application is already sent through my current school and not the external school where i want to study physics so that is why i was thinking if ucas will contact my current school.Also will I be a late applicant?My application went before 15th but i make changes now will it be a late applicant?Thanks for help!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.