Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

The Green Party's policy of gender discrimination in prison sentencing watch

ReputationRep:
    CJ381 Recognising the nature of the female prison population, with high levels of mental illness, experience of being a victim of crimes such as sexual assault and domestic violence, and caring responsibilities for children, the only women who should be in custody are those very few that commit serious and violent crimes and who present a threat to the public.
    Curious, why does this need to be mentioned? Surely we should be doing this with anyone, if we hope to be a country of equality. Why do women need special treatment? Why do the Greens claim to be progressive but support sexist policies like this?

Oh wow? Someone has a kid? How many criminal single fathers would be allowed to skip prison and keep custody of their kids?

Here's a link to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Curious, why does this need to be mentioned? Surely we should be doing this with anyone, if we hope to be a country of equality. Why do women need special treatment? Why do the Greens claim to be progressive but support sexist policies like this?

Oh wow? Someone has a kid? How many criminal single fathers would be allowed to skip prison and keep custody of their kids?

Here's a link to it
    I'm a strong supporter of the Green Party but I have to admit I agree with you here. As such, I've highlighted this in their Policy Discussion Forum. Here is my post:

For the most part, I almost entirely agree with green policies. However, somebody recently highlighted to me one policy that is a bit worrying.

"CJ381 Recognising the nature of the female prison population, with high levels of mental illness, experience of being a victim of crimes such as sexual assault and domestic violence, and caring responsibilities for children, the only women who should be in custody are those very few that commit serious and violent crimes and who present a threat to the public."

Remove the word female from this policy and it is perfectly reasonable. However treating men and women differently in the criminal justice system sets a very dangerous precedent. The issues raised here can just as easily be issues for men and as such it should extend to all gender groups.

- Mental illness: contrary to popular belief, we do have emotions too. Men are also prone to mental illness.
    - Sexual assault: this is also an issue for men. I'm sure we've all heard the jokes about dropping your soap in the showers.
    - Caring responsibilites for children: men are just as responsible for the upbringing of their children as women and also just as capable.

I vaguely agree with the statement "
    the only women who should be in custody are those very few that commit serious and violent crimes and who present a threat to the public." but this should also extend to men. Giving men and women different punishments for the same crimes simply isn't on. They have to take responsiblity for their actions and face the same consequences.

If the issue of sexual assault of women is really a big problem in prisons then the solution should to be segregate men and women from each other in prison. I would also want to look into the way prisons are set up in that it allows the situation to happen. That goes for the deployment of prison guards and how they are trained as well. Sexual assault in a controlled environment should surely be preventable.

I also have a few doubts about some of the other policies in this section, but my opinions aren't fully formed on those issues so I will not discuss them right now. For example, I'm not convinced by the policy "
    the only limitation on the dignity of their lives will be the denial of freedom of movement outside the prison"

Heres a link to the policies for those that are interested:
    http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/cj.html
    thanks for highlighting this issue

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.