The Student Room Group

Why does god/allah allow this to exist?

This is a so-called 'harlequin baby'. It has a flaw that causes its skin to grow thicker than normal and as such it splits. These children rarely live very long, and you can imagine the effect it would have on a mother seeing her child in this state.

Now before you click on the link I warn you. It is disturbing. Please do not be under any illusion as to how distressing you may find this image.

http://api.ning.com/files/2BKxlnTS*4EUvopw2b77gzI8Sf9uN0JIRJwAhoANUwJvjOHYnrXNTqu2vODbkq80DOzP6PSQFIxFy1wZkQ31pGYetA3eHy0U/harlequinbaby.jpg

My question is, why did god create this condition?
Reply 1
Original post by Borgia
This is a so-called 'harlequin baby'. It has a flaw that causes its skin to grow thicker than normal and as such it splits. These children rarely live very long, and you can imagine the effect it would have on a mother seeing her child in this state.

Now before you click on the link I warn you. It is disturbing. Please do not be under any illusion as to how distressing you may find this image.

http://api.ning.com/files/2BKxlnTS*4EUvopw2b77gzI8Sf9uN0JIRJwAhoANUwJvjOHYnrXNTqu2vODbkq80DOzP6PSQFIxFy1wZkQ31pGYetA3eHy0U/harlequinbaby.jpg

If God exists, surely so does the Devil?
This is his work.
Reply 2
Original post by Lúcio
If God exists, surely so does the Devil?
This is his work.

Not necessarily.
And where in the Bible does it say the devil can influence anything other than the minds of men?
Reply 3
Original post by Borgia
Not necessarily.
And where in the Bible does it say the devil can influence anything other than the minds of men?

How would you explain this, out of interest?

I'm an Athiest, merely looking at this from another perspective by the way :smile:
Didn't wanna come in here saying the answer is because God doesn't exist (in my opinion), because as far as i'm concerned, if the notion of a God can give people something to believe in, that's good enough for me.
Reply 4
Original post by Lúcio
How would you explain this, out of interest?

I'm an Athiest, merely looking at this from another perspective by the way :smile:
Didn't wanna come in here saying the answer is because God doesn't exist (in my opinion), because as far as i'm concerned, if the notion of a God can give people something to believe in, that's good enough for me.

The only ability the devil is given by christianity is to influence humans through temptation. He cannot create natural disasters or disform children
Reply 5
Original post by Borgia
The only ability the devil is given by christianity is to influence humans through temptation. He cannot create natural disasters or disform children

That's a fair point.

Evil has always existed though; surely that means God allows it?
It is the age old question of why any God would allow suffering.
Maybe there must be a balance; maybe a world without evil could not exist?

A lot of religion works on balance.
It's quite possible that with the divine creation of man, God needed to allow evil to be born too.
Reply 6
Original post by Borgia

the more you suffer the more you will be rewarded, hence when the day of reward and punishment comes all will be wishing for our limbs to cut out so that we can suffer the most to get the most reward everything will be worth it
Original post by Borgia

:rolleyes: What do you mean "allow and create?" Do not call on God (capital G, please and thank you :smile:) when you do not even know or understand His purpose.

As far as the illness, that is pure science. It can either be seen as karma, or another test of one's strength.

He allows nothing. He gave us free will. Otherwise, what is the point? We are tested and judged on our choices. Duh.

So on the contrary, whatever is happening, is because of the choices people made, or didn't make. And make no mistake, whether you believe it or not, it will be handled by The Higher Being. :kiss:
(edited 9 years ago)
Ahh, that is heartbreaking. And it genuinely sucks that diseases exist, poor baby.

But to answer this as a Muslim, we see it as a test. The greater the struggle, the greater the reward, that's the only thing I can think of.

The test being, no matter how much struggle you are going through as a mother, who will you turn too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by pocahontas lol
:rolleyes: What do you mean "allow and create?" Do not call on God (capital G, please and thank you :smile:) when you do not even know or understand His purpose.

As far as the illness, that is pure science. It can either be seen as karma, or another test of one's strength.

He allows nothing. He gave us free will. Otherwise, what is the point? We are tested and judged on our choices. Duh.

So on the contrary, whatever is happening, is because of the choices people made, or didn't make. And make no mistake, whether you believe it or not, it will be handled by The Higher Being. :kiss:

Original post by amenahussein
Ahh, that is heartbreaking. And it genuinely sucks that diseases exist, poor baby.

But to answer this as a Muslim, we see it as a test. The greater the struggle, the greater the reward, that's the only thing I can think of.

The test being, no matter how much struggle you are going through as a mother, who will you turn too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This 'test of strength' reminds me of Jigsaw from the Saw films.
Wow that baby must be in so much pain, poor kid. :frown:
Original post by Borgia

'However the Devil does have the power to tempt the minds of mortal men to dabble with witchcraft and necromancy and as punishment the sons of their sons shall be cursed unto a life of misery'

said everyone in the Middle Ages

Idk OP my personal opinion is that God decided to sack off humanity around the time of the French Revolution
Original post by Borgia
This 'test of strength' reminds me of Jigsaw from the Saw films.

Welp...life can often feel that way.

Like you're lost
alone
in danger...

and strength will help you prevail in those circumstances...no?

But doing it for God is much more ambition, motivation, obligation to do it. As opposed to living this hollow life solely for yourself.
My love for God keeps me strong everyday!! :bawling: I cry in praise.
Reply 14
Does a religious person actually have an answer to the question posed by the OP?

I'm an Atheist myself but I'm always open to the opinion of others.
Most of all I respect faith, something that sadly I was not gifted with the capacity to hold.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending