Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! So I've just got my offers/rejections back, and am making a final choice through UCAS. I know what my firm is, but for my insurance I'm still on the fence because of one question. Do I have to go to my insurance if there's a better choice in clearing?

In other words, if you get the conditions, but see a better potential offer in clearing, is it compulsory to go with your insurance?

Many thanks for any answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by possiblevet)
    Hiya! So I've just got my offers/rejections back, and am making a final choice through UCAS. I know what my firm is, but for my insurance I'm still on the fence because of one question. Do I have to go to my insurance if there's a better choice in clearing?

In other words, if you get the conditions, but see a better potential offer in clearing, is it compulsory to go with your insurance?

Many thanks for any answers
    that's a tricky one.
    i believe you CAN get round it and go in to clearing, but you would have to ring your insurance university at the time to see if they will "release" you.

normally clearing applies to people who missed both firm and insurance choices, however it isn't uncommon for people to simply not put down an insurance choice.
    many people feel like they would rather go in to clearing (or re-apply next year) if they don't make their firm choice.

check this link for more info (it's a little old but the process is still the same)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Clearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Definitely will be looking into it more, I don't want to get trapped Still looks like all will be good though. Thanks so much for the answer!

ReputationRep:
    Not tricky, you just ask your insurance to release you, they have to release you, given you provide them with a reason (ie not wanting to go there).

Then it's bye bye insurance, hello the university of Lincoln

On a serious note some good Unis do come up in clearing, usually only results day, so be quick

ReputationRep:
    If you're applying for vet med, take the offers you can and don't screw around. It doesn't come up in clearing ever afaik

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    If you're applying for vet med, take the offers you can and don't screw around. It doesn't come up in clearing ever afaik
    Yup, was definitely worried about vet programs not coming up in clearing. A lot of hype about how it's difficult to get into so I figured they wouldn't essentially give away places.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yup, was definitely worried about vet programs not coming up in clearing. A lot of hype about how it's difficult to get into so I figured they wouldn't essentially give away places.
    Occasionally, on results day, if the unis haven't filled their places they may ring people on a 'reserve' list, normally people who they interviewed by just missed being accepted post-interview. This isn't common though, and places NEVER go to clearing for vet med.

ReputationRep:
    The only way you can enter Clearing is if you have either been rejected by both courses and/or you have withdrawn from both choices, ie, you hold no confirmed offer.
    Relying on Clearing (and trying to get into Clearing quickly when you are still holding a confirmed offer) is difficult, stressful and most courses worth doing wont be in Clearing at all. PS. NO Vet Science courses will be in Clearing - like Medicine, they will all have reserve lists a mile long.

Read these guides to
    Choosing your Firm & Insurance : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
    Results Day : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...el_results_day
    Clearing : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...on_to_Clearing

ReputationRep:
    Yes, vet-med courses aren't found in clearing. As SilverstarDJ says, some unis will keep a back up list of people to contact if they haven't quite filled their courses, but they won't go through normal clearing channels. Due to the nature of this sort of course, unis only really want to accept people who've previously been through the interview process.

Even if they did, it's not a given that you can easily be released from your insurance in time to access a competitive/popular course in clearing. Normally, this process takes around 24-48 hours, more than enough time to miss out on a clearing course. However, as unis are really busy during the clearing period, some unis may take up to a week to release you, essentially leaving you with nothing.

You have several months to think about where to put down as your insurance, so chose somewhere you'd be happy to go to.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.