Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm thinking about joining one of these support groups and I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? What they are like, the things they talk about, if they helped you?

ReputationRep:
    Hello there - I have two relatives who have worked/used each company for a number of years now, so I hope my advice could be of some help! You've probably done your research, but I'll give you everything I know:

There is currently a deal on offer (£20 off!) to join Slimming World (SW) for three months throughout January, so keep your eyes peeled! I'm unsure about the current price of WeightWatchers (WW), but money-wise they work out about the same, unless you want to purchase any WW products (a box of 5 cereal bars for example, cost £2.40+, and they really don't last long!). If you want the best possible value for money, stick to the recipes, choose low-fat/fat-free/low-sugar/low-carb e.t.c. products instead of just buying WW/SW packaged meals and goods.

After having two consecutive pregnancies, my mother turned to Slimming World to lose weight after finding that WW was of little help (again, this is a trial-and-error process, as my grandma had success with WW, albeit on a much slower rate - again, you'll need to take in external factors such as exercise, age and metabolism). I've never been to a SW meeting, but after working for quite a few meetings for WW, the general demographic is age 50+, and it's mainly an excuse to get weighed, have a natter about unrelated matters and ultimately buy a lot of their branded products. This may not be the case for every single meeting, but certainly where I live, 4/4 of the meetings I worked at did the same thing. I am unsure about Slimming World today, but certainly in the past, the age-demographic was younger (about 30+), and they do have an online forum which I understand would be a lot easier to keep on topic, communicate with confidence and keep the cost of meetings down by a lot!

Slimming World gives you three options and works on the base of syns, whilst WW works on points. You can only have so much per day. SW gives you three options (I am unsure if WW has changed in the past 6 months). An orange, red (also known as 'the original plan' - they are getting rid of this so be quick because this plan is usually the fastest and most effective way to lose weight) and the green plan. Each plan is accustomed to a particular food group (e.g. veg/fruit, fish and meat, e.t.c.). You are able to omit any foodstuffs you do not want (e.g. if you have an allergy or if you really don't want to touch potatoes!), which again is very helpful.

Currently my mother and sister are using Slimming World (they aren't going to groups or forums and have had incredible success, although one could say that they're supporting each other and are working to meet achievable goals), so I'm eating their meals too. As I am not dieting, I have found it hard to maintain my weight as the plan keeps you incredibly full throughout the day, even on just about 1200-500 calories! Although I'm not dieting, I have already had a wave of health benefits. Admittedly I had huge bowel trouble for about a year - I was going to go to my GP about it this month - but after being on the plan and eating no processed foodstuffs (and the recipes are delicious, take it from me!) I have never felt so full of energy, concentration and COMFORT, so that's a huge bonus!

As they've chosen to stick to the original plan and are using recipes only, they aren't eating the SW branded products, so I can't give a comment on that. As for WW products, well, I've had an entire upbringing with them! (my grandma was a diamond leader). The foodstuffs aren't that bad - they're edible, and they've certainly improved. However, I cannot stress enough that the Slimming World's idea of choosing your own brands/products rather than WW tastes so much better, is more cost-effective, and is less-likely to encourage you to gorge on an entire box of toffee bars (the amount of aspartame and other sweet chemicals in most, if not all of WW products takes it's toll on your willpower to resist and doesn't satisfy your cravings whatsoever). By all means buy some WW products if you like - the yogurts are delicious, have a lot less sugar than Muller Lights (which are generally 'syn-free' according to Slimming World!), but again, other products such as 'Diet+' are cheaper, larger and healthier).

I hope this helped (apologies if the above essay seems a bit scattered!) - if you need any more information, please don't hesitate to pop me a message!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, the above poster has basically said it all but I just wanted to add that I joined slimming world at the beginning of November and had about 2 stone to lose. So far I have lost 10 pounds and have never felt deprived of any food! I wish I had joined SW sooner but I was too embarrassed however there is nothing to be scared about. Everyone is so supportive - even if you have a bad week. I had been trying to lose weight myself for a couple of years and kept losing motivation but SW has kicked me up the bum to actually do something.

I don't know about other areas but WW has decreased in popularity dramatically and I feel it's more restrictive and not as realistic to follow for life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently attending weight watchers and have lost almost 4 stone so far. The plan has two basic choices, counting or filling and healthy. When counting you have a daily points allowance to spend however you wish, though your leaders will help you learn the best way to use it to get a balanced diet. The filling and healthy approach has a list of foods and recipes that you can choose from and you don't have to weigh or count anything. On both plans you have 49 bonus points to use if you want to eat something that doesn't fall into your allowance/filling and healthy options.

In terms of the products I have found absolutely no pressure to buy anything that is we branded. The cereal bars are quite yummy though so I will often have a box of them (£2.15 a box of 6) for snacks at work. They are quite filling and last the week easily.

I have attended slimming world in the past and I didn't like the approach. I felt like people were shamed somewhat of they hadn't lost or had gained weight. Essentially the leader went through everyone's loss/gain and shared it with the group, regardless of whether you wanted others to know. Ww by comparison encourages people to share their success but asks you to volunteer that information, rather than just reading it aloud.

Price wise I use the monthly pass which is £10 for the first month and then £21,45 a month after that. There is an online only version which is cheaper, but I really enjoy the meetings and find them useful. Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to go to Slimming World and it didnt work for me; I found the plan hard to stick to as I ended up eating the same things every day and got bored. However I do know a few women who lost quite a bit of weight on Slimming World and kept it off. I didnt enjoy the meetings; however other groups will be different. I did Weight Watchers when I was 16 (didnt attend meetings just following it at home) and went down 3 dress sizes; I've heard its changed now though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've done both, and slimming world really helped (until I stopped)

You don't actually have to sit in the group, you can follow the diet, go each week for your weigh in and go... though really the group is part of what you're paying for.
    I think one of the things that really helps people though, is the getting weighed each week as it holds you accountable. You can arrange to see a nurse at your GP surgery to do this for you for free (and help you with losing weight) if you wanted to forego the cost and sitting in a group

ReputationRep:
    My Mum joined Slimming World a few years ago and lost 5 stone! Then she stopped going.

She started again last night and I want to lose a stone so I'm just using her booklets and things to help me.

Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Both are good if you do well with peer pressure and a support network of strangers (obviously who you try to make friends with!) but not so good if you will compare ypurself to others, feel embarassed in the group, not speak out much etc.
    I found WW was quite easy to fit into my lifestyle, but honestly I don't think the way the points system works is very healthy. You can use all your points on unhealthy foods and then just eat fruit and veg the rest of the day, you're almost encouraged not to eat back exercise points, and generally I don't think it's about a sustainable healthy lifestyle, whatever their marketing is.
    As for SW, I never tried it, but I think it will fall into the same trap of sustainable lifestyle, but I found the idea of "sins" incredibly offputting. Whilst being able to eat whatever I liked with WW was probably not very good for me, being told that certain food are "sins" would have made me really stressed about what I ate.

Personally, I'm having much better results using Fitbit and Myfitnesspal. I'm using Fitbit to persuade me to exercise more, and to make sure that on lazy days I eat less, and vice versa, but it is quite expensive as it's a one-off payment for whichever one you get (£60-100). Myfitnesspal is free, and gives you all the information about your eating. Sure, you might have to do a bit more research into where your calories should come from, and it can be a bit slower to enter food to start off with than WW was, at least, but I think having X calories from X carbs, X fat and X protein is much, much healthier overall than being able to eat 30 Pro-points worth, which doesn't tell you how healthy an individual food really is - for example, nuts are very high in PP, but when you use Myfitnesspal to log tem, you can see that they are high in calories because they're high in fat, but "healthy fat", and protein. A chocolate bar might be the same calories or Pro-points value, but it's all sugar and fat, very little protein, and not something that you really want to "spend" your points.calories on when you have a calorie-restricted diet, unless you have eaten enough other healthy foods, hit your macros, and feel hungry at the time you eat it.

Sorry for the essay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    Hey,

I'm thinking about joining one of these support groups and I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? What they are like, the things they talk about, if they helped you?
    I know someone who goes to Slimming World and she is losing weight and doing brilliantly. Like the poster above, I am currently using MyFitnessPal and the Fitbit to monitor my calories and food intake, and I also attend to the gym - but everyone is different. If I do not have enough determination then I would most likely resort to WW/SW.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2015
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.