Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm Neil and I'm one of the forum assistants here. I was a student at Chester for three years and spent most of my life in the area, so I know it quite well. One of the posts we've got in the forum is what its like in and around Chester, but its a bit out of date as I've been rushed off my feet, so I'm planning on doing a fresh one in the lead up to summer... So as a prospective student at Chester, what would you like to know, so I can make the the information I provide as relevant as possible? There's bound to be some stuff I can't answer, but I'll do my best to help, so ask away!

ReputationRep:
    Student experience (nightlife etc), are there lots of part time jobs about?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know how the night life is rate it out of ten haah! And also accommodation is it good because it is more cheaper than most unis!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Best accommodation, what do you think is the most social? lively? what are the quiet one... ect ect
    I want to be in lively halls lol! xx

ReputationRep:
    I didn't live in halls, but as long as you don't specifically choose a quiet hall (they're stated as such), you'll not have any problems with the social side of things, the uni works well to integrate the students with each other.
    As for nightlife... It's not on the scale of Liverpool or Manchester, but for a small city, we do well. There's something going on almost every night, off the top of my head:
    Monday-Student Beanz at Cruise
    Tuesday-Gender Blender at Rosie's
    Wednesday-Theme night at Rosie's
    Thursday-Three in a bed (go to two places, get in a third free)
    Friday-Su Friday/Grind (Rock night in town)
    Saturday-I don't think anything really goes on for students,but you want to avoid Chester city for nights out at the weekend.
    Sunday-Poker or Quiz night.

ReputationRep:
    Are there a lot of part time jobs available? Are students expected to participate in clubs/ nightlife etc, and be completely outgoing all the time? (Sorry, I know that's a weird question. I'm planning on doing a lot, but I'm not sure what the English education system is like, so I'm scared I might have to take a lot of time out to study/relax until I get settled into things). Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alyssaran)
    Are there a lot of part time jobs available? Are students expected to participate in clubs/ nightlife etc, and be completely outgoing all the time? (Sorry, I know that's a weird question. I'm planning on doing a lot, but I'm not sure what the English education system is like, so I'm scared I might have to take a lot of time out to study/relax until I get settled into things). Thanks!
    There's plenty of part time jobs available-the uni has a scheme for jobs within the uni itself, plus there's plenty of bars, pubs, shops, and care homes looking for staff, and most of them are pretty flexible. As for what's expected socially? The university makes you aware of events going on and will encourage you to get involved, but if you don't want to do something sociably, the thing to remember is that you don't have to. The uni expects you to attend your lectures and seminars, and fulfill your work requirements in time to your best possible standard. Everything after that? Up to you. You don't want to go to SU Friday? You don't have to. Don't feel like going to the quiz? Well good for you sunshine, you don't have to at all. You don't have to worry about getting extra credits like in the US system, all your grades are related to your work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil2wkd)
    There's plenty of part time jobs available-the uni has a scheme for jobs within the uni itself, plus there's plenty of bars, pubs, shops, and care homes looking for staff, and most of them are pretty flexible. As for what's expected socially? The university makes you aware of events going on and will encourage you to get involved, but if you don't want to do something sociably, the thing to remember is that you don't have to. The uni expects you to attend your lectures and seminars, and fulfill your work requirements in time to your best possible standard. Everything after that? Up to you. You don't want to go to SU Friday? You don't have to. Don't feel like going to the quiz? Well good for you sunshine, you don't have to at all. You don't have to worry about getting extra credits like in the US system, all your grades are related to your work
    What like campus are you on?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, don't know whether this is the best place to ask, but worth a shot! I'm going to be a uni transfer student for English Literature at the parkgate road campus. My boyfriend won't be a student (he graduates this year) but we're looking for the best places to rent a none student house, but we don't know the areas at all. I've only ever visited Chester city centre about 5 times. We're looking for somewhere close to the university, is there any specific areas you would suggest due to knowing the areas? I'd really appreciate any help you can give! Tah.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be transferring to chester for my second year and it seems like everyone is looking for next year accommodation already. i wasn't going to start looking just yet but should i? :confused: will there still be accomodation available in the summer? i don't know anyone at the uni yet and all i can seem to find are groups of friends and i'd hate to be the odd one out

Apparently there is a 65%/35% girl to boy ratio, is this noticeable when you are at the university?

ReputationRep:
    Okay it's been a fortnight since I checked this, so in order...

I was on Chester Campus but due to where I was moving from (Liverpool), I was too close to get halls and probably wouldn't have gone with halls even if I'd had the option (I'd spent ten years effectively living on my own, halls just wouldn't have been for me).

I know a lot of ex students settle around the Bache and Hoole area, or alternatively you could look a little further afield and look at Wrexham and Queensferry, and even Neston way on. I'd check the bus services though, I know from bitter experience that the bus service from Neston stops at half six at the very latest. You'll likely be hard pressed to find somewhere very close to the uni as a lot of it is cheap student housing or already has people living there, you might have to accept a fifteen minute walk each day. I know people who lived as far out as beyond the train station who've made the walk.

Contact the university asap about this. The uni managed to find a friend of mine housing within a week of her getting in touch due to a very abrupt change in circumstances, they should be able to help you out.

As you walk around uni, you likely won't notice the gender difference, but in lectures and so on, this will probably change. On my counseling course, there were fifty or so people, of which there was one other male, on my English course for around two to three hundred, there were more males than counseling, but in each seminar there was never more than three males and around seventeen or so females. It was a touch surreal in my first year English seminars being the only male. It offered the class some unique perspectives to say the least.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.