Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A mistake in the Personal Statement for English, please help!! watch

ReputationRep:
    After sending my application to UCAS yesterday, I decided to look at my PS this morning and saw that instead of Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream" I wrote "Midsummer's Dream". I have no idea how I had missed it when I was reviewing the statement before sending. Does anyone know how much will that decrease my chances? Did I just completely shoot myself in the foot with this?

If I did, is there anything I can do? Should I write to the universities or..

ReputationRep:
    Yes it will probably decrease your chances in all honesty.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by agnesse)
    After sending my application to UCAS yesterday, I decided to look at my PS this morning and saw that instead of Shakespeare's "Midsummer Night's Dream" I wrote "Midsummer's Dream". I have no idea how I had missed it when I was reviewing the statement before sending. Does anyone know how much will that decrease my chances? Did I just completely shoot myself in the foot with this?

If I did, is there anything I can do? Should I write to the universities or..
    I would ring your universities first. If they want you to write they can give you an email address over the phone. Take down the date/time and the number you call, the name and job title of who you speak to and what they say. Then if things go wrong you have evidence to appeal/complain.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses! I decided I'll write to the unis but I have one more question - what do you think I should say in the email? I thought I'd write about what mistake I made and then - what? - ask them to consider this while they would be reading my PS? ask whether I can send them an updated version?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agnesse)
    So I decided to read my PS again and I found that somehow instead of "Midsummer Night's Dream" I wrote "Midsummer's Dream". I didn't see it when I was rereading the PS before sending and no one told me about it, so maybe it changed during the final edit? Anyway, I know it's a big problem considering I'm applying for English/English with Film Studies to very good unis (UCL, KCL, Newcastle, Exeter, Queen Mary's) and I decided I will write to the universities, but here's the problem - should I ask them to let me send a revised PS? to consider my application knowing I am aware of the unfortunate mistake? :confused: I posted a thread in another forum but I think this one's more relevant and I would really like to hear more opinions. So, if you could help, I'd appreciate it!! I'm super nervous about it right now and I hope I won't only get rejections !!
    It's not a grammatical or spelling mistake and if you didn't see it when you (presumably) checked it repeatedly before sending it off then the chances are that others may not notice either. Acceptance or rejection doesn't hang on one single tiny thing, so stop thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, sure you can do that, but I really doubt that the omission of 'Night's' for them is going to be the difference between them accepting you and rejecting you. Admissions tutors really have FAR too many applications (especially for a subject like English) to go through to care about being too nitpicky.

ReputationRep:
    you may not know but the brain skips words when reading and tends to insert things it know should be there (google word skipping and you'll find the academic research) . That is why you missed it on reading the PS and why other people reading it may do the same. Panic and contact universities and you just draw attention to it. They wont let you send a revised PS for a minor error and as it's past the date you cant cancel and reapply.

From talking to admission staff what matters is grades, grades, grades - and the PS for special circumstances or if everything else is equal. It matters less than you think.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.