Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I need work experience! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need work experience to contribute towards Dentistry. Dental Hygiene and Therapy to be exact. Or anything medical. How would I go about securing work experience? Would I walk into the dental clinic and ask them if they're taking students or email or phone? And when should I take it. I'm in the first year of college at the moment. How much should I take. And any other suggestions for other places for work experience?
    I'm in Birmingham btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHBK)
    I need work experience to contribute towards Dentistry. Dental Hygiene and Therapy to be exact. Or anything medical. How would I go about securing work experience? Would I walk into the dental clinic and ask them if they're taking students or email or phone? And when should I take it. I'm in the first year of college at the moment. How much should I take. And any other suggestions for other places for work experience?
    I'm in Birmingham btw
    When I did my work experience for school (admittedly in Year 11), I researched the places that I could go to related to what I was thinking of doing (English Lit./publishing). I found a small publishing house in Oxford, found their details, and then sent them a letter explaining why I was contacting them and whether they were able to take me for a week (you might have to talk with them about dates/length of the placement). You can find out how to structure those kind of letters online, or alternatively send them an email, if you can. You'll probably want to contact someone directly (say, a person in your chosen field), but if you can't just send a 'To who it may concern' letter to the place. You should also probably sort out when it would be best for you to do the placement; if you're in college, it would probably be best to do the week of half-term break. You should maybe have a look into organisations that help students to find work placements (you can do it through CareersWales in Wales, but you'd have to see if there is one in your area). Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    When I applied for work experience for medicine I sent out a whole load of emails about 20 to different hospitals and nursing homes. Quite a lot, I know. I got about 5 or 6 replies. Make sure its formal but not lengthy-I also started with "To whom it may concern". Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    How about asking your personal dentist if you could sit in a couple days worth of appointments with him/her, and lend a helping hand if need be.
    Even if you just shadow your dentist for a day, it's experience you can then use when applying for other work experiences.
    (The ironic thing about work experience these days is that most people want you to have a bit of experience for them to be happy to give you experience)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Embla)
    When I did my work experience for school (admittedly in Year 11), I researched the places that I could go to related to what I was thinking of doing (English Lit./publishing). I found a small publishing house in Oxford, found their details, and then sent them a letter explaining why I was contacting them and whether they were able to take me for a week (you might have to talk with them about dates/length of the placement). You can find out how to structure those kind of letters online, or alternatively send them an email, if you can. You'll probably want to contact someone directly (say, a person in your chosen field), but if you can't just send a 'To who it may concern' letter to the place. You should also probably sort out when it would be best for you to do the placement; if you're in college, it would probably be best to do the week of half-term break. You should maybe have a look into organisations that help students to find work placements (you can do it through CareersWales in Wales, but you'd have to see if there is one in your area). Hope this helps
    Thanks. I will research into it further. And probably send a letter.

(Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    When I applied for work experience for medicine I sent out a whole load of emails about 20 to different hospitals and nursing homes. Quite a lot, I know. I got about 5 or 6 replies. Make sure its formal but not lengthy-I also started with "To whom it may concern". Good luck.
    I like the idea of that. I'll apply to a range of clinics I guess.

(Original post by Baloney)
    How about asking your personal dentist if you could sit in a couple days worth of appointments with him/her, and lend a helping hand if need be.
    Even if you just shadow your dentist for a day, it's experience you can then use when applying for other work experiences.
    (The ironic thing about work experience these days is that most people want you to have a bit of experience for them to be happy to give you experience)

Good idea. I'm sure I can get one with my personal dentisto if he's kind enough xD .Experience for work experience. Lol
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Embla)
    Just go and ask your own Dentist/ Orthodontist. They will usually take you if they know you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.