Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How hard is it to get onto English Lit Uni Course? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys

I am looking for help from people who are taking and have taken English Literature at uni.

Please could you tell me how hard it is to get onto this course.

I have been considering going back into education for a while now, and I haven't even started my HE course yet. I know its too early to be asking if I will get in as I don't know how well I am predicted to do in an HE course. (English Lit)

I got 2 A's at GCSE, and I have always loved reading anything and everything, and it was the only thing in school I enjoyed- so do people think its worth it as I've now been out of school since 2010, with nothing in between.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for English BA for three different Universities, English Language and English & Philosophy.

I have been told as long as you get the grades and meet their entry requirements, you will be offered a place.

I, myself, am currently doing the Access to HE course. You won't be at a disadvantage if you are predicted the entry requirements of the course! I'm predicted Distinctions.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's never too early to ask!

I started my Access to HE course with nothing in terms of previous A-Levels, and very middling GCSEs, but I'm planning to apply to some London unis next academic year. I'd suggest maybe getting as many Distinctions and Merits as you can get, and you'll find your options opening up. Which universities are you looking at, by the way? If you look at their entry requirements, they'll specify the targets at which you should be aiming. Also, if you talk to the admissions officers, they're more than willing to help you out, I'm sure.

I hope this helps! :-)
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I'd say you should talk to someone on the HE course about your prospects. As others have said, I think if you meet the entry requirements the rest is easy.

Personally I called up a few unis after results day, asked if they had places and got one. I might have just been lucky with my grades though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies!

I have been thinking of going to Edinburgh and took your advice to look on UCAS so I might look at places South of Newcastle (where I am based) to give me a bit of variation!

If you think that everyone will be offered a place who gets the grades then that is reassuring!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got into English Literature through clearing having achieved the required grades. I had no UCAS application and I didn't need a Personal Statement or Reference. Personally, I think as English Literature is a more academic subject, Universities are more bothered about your grades than anything else, as this shows your academic ability. Just apply somewhere you think you will meet the entry requirements for, show a passion for Literature on your Personal Statement and you will be fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.