Objections to A* at A-Level

Watch
This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you were thick you wouldn't be able to even take A levels in the first place, its mainly lazy people who do badly in A levels or those who find it hard for genuine reasons, it dosn't mean they are thick.

It just depends on what you're good at, for example A level maths I would find impossible but Business Studies or Computing I am very good at.
Lepr
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
If you were thick you wouldn't be able to even take A levels in the first place, its mainly lazy people who do badly in A levels or those who find it hard for genuine reasons, it dosn't mean they are thick.

It just depends on what you're good at, for example A level maths I would find impossible but Business Studies or Computing I am very good at.
I know dumb people who get As in econs, rs, politics, history purely from hard work
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lepr)
I know dumb people who get As in econs, rs, politics, history purely from hard work
Define dumb? if you were dumb you would not be even be able pass GCSES. Also dumb is very anti PC word to use. As 'dumb' people are probably very clever.
Lepr
Report 16 years ago
Also dumb is very anti PC word to use. As 'dumb' people are probably very clever.
Your logic is absolutely absurd. According to you, because dumb people are clever, saying 'dumb' isn't politically correct, hmm.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
I haven't heard of cambridge asking for individual scores. When did this start? Is it via the UCAS form/at interview?
I believe it's via the "Cambridge Form" which Cambridge applicants submit in addition to the UCAS form
Lepr
Report 16 years ago
I'm in favour of actually making the exams harder, not putting in another grade.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lepr)
Your logic is absolutely absurd. According to you, because dumb people are clever, saying 'dumb' isn't politically correct, hmm.
No by you're meaing on dumb you mean thick people, dumb is actually people who cannot talk. So you were saying people who cannot talk are thick.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lepr)
I'm in favour of actually making the exams harder, not putting in another grade.
Making exams harder won't make any difference - grades are awarded on relative performance.
Do Chickens Fly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by H&E)
I believe it's via the "Cambridge Form" which Cambridge applicants submit in addition to the UCAS form
I filled one of those in; didn't get asked for a breakdown of my score - or if I did, certainly don't remember filling it in.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
I filled one of those in; didn't get asked for a breakdown of my score - or if I did, certainly don't remember filling it in.
Did you do it this year? I'm fairly certain my friends were asked for individual scores...or it may have been individual module grades. At any rate, some form of information beyond overall AS grade.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lepr)
I agree with that, putting in an A* will just make the A grade worthless.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No by you're meaing on dumb you mean thick people, dumb is actually people who cannot talk. So you were saying people who cannot talk are thick.
But it is un PC to call someone who doesn't or can't talk 'dumb'.
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sashh)
But it is un PC to call someone who doesn't or can't talk 'dumb'.
Why is it? That's what the word means! That's just PC gone crazy! Next you'll be telling me I can't call someone without hearing deaf....
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil Queen)
That depends if they're deaf with a little d or a capital D
http://deafness.about.com/cs/culture...gdorsmalld.htm
Yup - hence the use of little d! My cousin is deaf, but it's never stopped her doing exactly what she wants and getting on in life! He parents sent her to main stream school, and we all learnt to sign.

I have to admit that I find deaf culture facinating (although I'm not professing to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination - just a familial interest!), especially when relating to things like cochlear implants and hearing status of offspring.
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lepr)
thick people get As too.
Precisely. The only exams I think actually prevent 'thick people' getting As are the synoptics. With these you can't just write down a pre-done sample answer, they are a bit more abstract so you actually have to use your mind. Revealing points is pointless, the fundemental problem lies in the fact that the exams are too easy to master and test all the wrong skills. In my opinion, a-level should not be about how well you can master the art of exams but rather the quality of your work and ability to think in a more intellectual way than is currently needed.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by claire1985)
Precisely. The only exams I think actually prevent 'thick people' getting As are the synoptics. With these you can't just write down a pre-done sample answer, they are a bit more abstract so you actually have to use your mind. Revealing points is pointless, the fundemental problem lies in the fact that the exams are too easy to master and test all the wrong skills. In my opinion, a-level should not be about how well you can master the art of exams but rather the quality of your work and ability to think in a more intellectual way than is currently needed.
It'd be so nice to have all my exams based on application of knowledge, then I wouldn't have to learn much. At the moment the only subject that qualifies as almost exclusively based on application of knowledge is maths.
Dreama
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Maybe we should forget grades altogether?

If all our "grades" were equal to a number, like our UMS scores, merely add them together and hold that as everyone's personal grading system.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (70)
53.44%
Yes, but I want to swap them (10)
7.63%
No, but I know who I want to choose (14)
10.69%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (33)
25.19%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (4)
3.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed