Turn on thread page Beta

Objections to A* at A-Level watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you were thick you wouldn't be able to even take A levels in the first place, its mainly lazy people who do badly in A levels or those who find it hard for genuine reasons, it dosn't mean they are thick.

It just depends on what you're good at, for example A level maths I would find impossible but Business Studies or Computing I am very good at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    If you were thick you wouldn't be able to even take A levels in the first place, its mainly lazy people who do badly in A levels or those who find it hard for genuine reasons, it dosn't mean they are thick.

It just depends on what you're good at, for example A level maths I would find impossible but Business Studies or Computing I am very good at.
    I know dumb people who get As in econs, rs, politics, history purely from hard work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    I know dumb people who get As in econs, rs, politics, history purely from hard work
    Define dumb? if you were dumb you would not be even be able pass GCSES. Also dumb is very anti PC word to use. As 'dumb' people are probably very clever.

ReputationRep:
    Also dumb is very anti PC word to use. As 'dumb' people are probably very clever.
    Your logic is absolutely absurd. According to you, because dumb people are clever, saying 'dumb' isn't politically correct, hmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    I haven't heard of cambridge asking for individual scores. When did this start? Is it via the UCAS form/at interview?
    I believe it's via the "Cambridge Form" which Cambridge applicants submit in addition to the UCAS form

ReputationRep:
    I'm in favour of actually making the exams harder, not putting in another grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    Your logic is absolutely absurd. According to you, because dumb people are clever, saying 'dumb' isn't politically correct, hmm.
    No by you're meaing on dumb you mean thick people, dumb is actually people who cannot talk. So you were saying people who cannot talk are thick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    I'm in favour of actually making the exams harder, not putting in another grade.
    Making exams harder won't make any difference - grades are awarded on relative performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    I believe it's via the "Cambridge Form" which Cambridge applicants submit in addition to the UCAS form
    I filled one of those in; didn't get asked for a breakdown of my score - or if I did, certainly don't remember filling it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    I filled one of those in; didn't get asked for a breakdown of my score - or if I did, certainly don't remember filling it in.
    Did you do it this year? I'm fairly certain my friends were asked for individual scores...or it may have been individual module grades. At any rate, some form of information beyond overall AS grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    I agree with that, putting in an A* will just make the A grade worthless.

ReputationRep:
    No by you're meaing on dumb you mean thick people, dumb is actually people who cannot talk. So you were saying people who cannot talk are thick.
    But it is un PC to call someone who doesn't or can't talk 'dumb'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    But it is un PC to call someone who doesn't or can't talk 'dumb'.
    Why is it? That's what the word means! That's just PC gone crazy! Next you'll be telling me I can't call someone without hearing deaf....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    That depends if they're deaf with a little d or a capital D
    http://deafness.about.com/cs/culture...gdorsmalld.htm
    Yup - hence the use of little d! My cousin is deaf, but it's never stopped her doing exactly what she wants and getting on in life! He parents sent her to main stream school, and we all learnt to sign.

I have to admit that I find deaf culture facinating (although I'm not professing to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination - just a familial interest!), especially when relating to things like cochlear implants and hearing status of offspring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepr)
    thick people get As too.
    Precisely. The only exams I think actually prevent 'thick people' getting As are the synoptics. With these you can't just write down a pre-done sample answer, they are a bit more abstract so you actually have to use your mind. Revealing points is pointless, the fundemental problem lies in the fact that the exams are too easy to master and test all the wrong skills. In my opinion, a-level should not be about how well you can master the art of exams but rather the quality of your work and ability to think in a more intellectual way than is currently needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    Precisely. The only exams I think actually prevent 'thick people' getting As are the synoptics. With these you can't just write down a pre-done sample answer, they are a bit more abstract so you actually have to use your mind. Revealing points is pointless, the fundemental problem lies in the fact that the exams are too easy to master and test all the wrong skills. In my opinion, a-level should not be about how well you can master the art of exams but rather the quality of your work and ability to think in a more intellectual way than is currently needed.
    It'd be so nice to have all my exams based on application of knowledge, then I wouldn't have to learn much. At the moment the only subject that qualifies as almost exclusively based on application of knowledge is maths.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we should forget grades altogether?

If all our "grades" were equal to a number, like our UMS scores, merely add them together and hold that as everyone's personal grading system.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.