Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to react to not being paid watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've been working at KFC on a zero hour contract for around 2 and half months. We get paid fortnightly so I've had 4 paydays before however this Tuesday I was supposed to be paid but was not. No nothing. I've rang up the place I work 3 times and all they've said is 'waiting for a reply from payroll' and haven't had the opportunity to talk in person since I only work weekends.

Surely the process should be treated more urgently than this since its against the law to not pay someone? Or am I just not seeing the big picture?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by JoeHubbard)
    Well, you've got to balance how important it is to you with how important it is to them. You've got to match your urgency for the money with your actions. You haven't got your money, they haven't paid one person in several thousand. You've phoned work, they've phoned Payroll and not got an answer. You are keeping it all at the phone level. Make the effort to go into work and ask, ask work for the Payroll number and then phone them directly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Well, you've got to balance how important it is to you with how important it is to them. You've got to match your urgency for the money with your actions. You haven't got your money, they haven't paid one person in several thousand. You've phoned work, they've phoned Payroll and not got an answer. You are keeping it all at the phone level. Make the effort to go into work and ask, ask work for the Payroll number and then phone them directly.
    I work at KFC back at home 20 miles from my university but travel back home at weekends to work there so tomorrow will be the first opportunity I'll get to talk to them. Also, its a small franchise consisting of 15-17 branches throughout the Midlands so its not on as large scale as you would have thought

ReputationRep:
    Do they normally give you a payslip, and have you had one?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I work at KFC back at home 20 miles from my university but travel back home at weekends to work there so tomorrow will be the first opportunity I'll get to talk to them. Also, its a small franchise consisting of 15-17 branches throughout the Midlands so its not on as large scale as you would have thought
    If your manager have contacted payroll and did not get an answer, there is not much they can do but wait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Do they normally give you a payslip, and have you had one?
    Going to pick it up tomorrow when I go to work, only work weekends and its 20 miles away from my University so havent had the chance yet

ReputationRep:
    Going to pick it up tomorrow when I go to work, only work weekends and its 20 miles away from my University so haven't had the chance yet
    If they don't give you a payslip, they're in trouble.

If they do, does it show zero hours? If so, I hope you have signed timesheets or some other way of proving what you did.

If they do, and it is right, make a nuisance and say you need them to get an answer from payroll while you are there.

The Citizen's Advice Bureau suggests you write to them, you could take a letter with you when you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    If they don't give you a payslip, they're in trouble.

If they do, does it show zero hours? If so, I hope you have signed timesheets or some other way of proving what you did.

If they do, and it is right, make a nuisance and say you need them to get an answer from payroll while you are there.

The Citizen's Advice Bureau suggests you write to them, you could take a letter with you when you go.
    Just been in today, they said it happens often. I asked for my payslip and they said if you don't get paid you don't receive one.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.