Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I was rejected by my dream course and uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I sent my application on the 14th of jan and a day later my application was 'unsuccessful' for Opthalmic dispensing at City university...really I never felt so sad in my life..I really do feel like I'm a loser. My predicted grades counted for 180 ucas points as well I was predicted if get a C biology. Which I think my school should have predicted me higher since I got 'B' in my mocks. I just wanted to know although my application was rejected or declined can I still go through clearing for that same course and university if I do better than I expect?

Umm thanks to whoever answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icrazygo)
    So I sent my application on the 14th of jan and a day later my application was 'unsuccessful' for Opthalmic dispensing at City university...really I never felt so sad in my life..I really do feel like I'm a loser. My predicted grades counted for 180 ucas points as well I was predicted if get a C biology. Which I think my school should have predicted me higher since I got 'B' in my mocks. I just wanted to know although my application was rejected or declined can I still go through clearing for that same course and university if I do better than I expect?

Yes go thru clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

If you do better then you may even wish to go through adjustment.

But in the mean time, contact City and ask for feedback on your application (who knows, maybe if you appear strongly interested they may reconsider- happened to my friend last year)

ReputationRep:
    So it is possible I can go through clearing fir the same university and course although I was declined?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So it is possible I can go through clearing fir the same university and course although I was declined?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R Dragon)
    If you do better then you may even wish to go through adjustment.

But in the mean time, contact City and ask for feedback on your application (who knows, maybe if you appear strongly interested they may reconsider- happened to my friend last year)
    i want ant to call them but I don't know what to say..do I just mention how was declined and why was I declined? Is there specific way I can talk to them?

ReputationRep:
    i want ant to call them but I don't know what to say..do I just mention how was declined and why was I declined? Is there specific way I can talk to them?
    You don't have to call them through the phone (personally I'd hate to do that as my phone skills are awful)

Just write them an e-mail with your UCAS applicant number and it should be fine!!

Let me know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R Dragon)
    You don't have to call them through the phone (personally I'd hate to do that as my phone skills are awful)

Just write them an e-mail with your UCAS applicant number and it should be fine!!

Let me know how it goes
    Gahhhh I'm so scared umm...what do I say in the email??

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should just send them an email asking if they would be kind enough to explain why they rejected you. If you call, the probability of the first person to pick up the phone knowing the reasons for your rejection are slim, then they'll have to go and look for someone and so on and so on and it will probably cause them stress - you don't want to annoy your dream uni if you still hope to somehow get in. If you just send an email whoever receives it can forward it to the person who actually knows something about your application in their own time and they will probably get back to you within a couple of working days. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Use the feeling you have of rejection and pain and let that fuel you to get the best grades you can. Then when you get them, the higher the more chance this'll work, call them on results day and tell them you want to apply for the course, do they have spare spaces still.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up! Work harder than ever and prove them wrong.

Yes, as others have said, you can go through clearing. Predictions are just that 'predictions' - it's the next few months that decide on your 'real' grades.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone on here had to go through clearing? What kind of questions have they asked you??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winterose)
    Maybe you should just send them an email asking if they would be kind enough to explain why they rejected you. If you call, the probability of the first person to pick up the phone knowing the reasons for your rejection are slim, then they'll have to go and look for someone and so on and so on and it will probably cause them stress - you don't want to annoy your dream uni if you still hope to somehow get in. If you just send an email whoever receives it can forward it to the person who actually knows something about your application in their own time and they will probably get back to you within a couple of working days. Good luck!
    Good advice - I'd add a few lines on your interest and passion for the course and university. Nothing over the top but it shows them that you're serious and motivated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You guys are all so helpful. Thank you all..my heart feels at so much ease:3

ReputationRep:
    Gahhhh I'm so scared umm...what do I say in the email??
    "Dear X,

I'm writing to you regarding my previous application to study X at your institution which was unfortunately unsuccessful. I was hoping you'd be able to provide me with some feedback on ways I can improve my next application.

Kind regards,
    X
    UCAS ID: X"

I know you're not necessarily gonna make a repeat application (i.e. gap year) but it makes you seem interested!!

Good luck ahha

ReputationRep:

having jut looked at ucas they say that the normal grades are ccd which is 220 points not the 180 they show and also give a list of preferred subjects. you have not provided your estimated grades or the subjects taken so this may be the reason for your rejection. I must say showing grades higher than the ucas points shown does not reflect well on the university.

ReputationRep:

Adjustment in case you do better than predicted and clearing anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.