Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone apply to the MSc in Machine Learning at Imperial? I have an interview with them around mid feb.

I am wondering what to expect. Can anyone share their MSc Interview experience?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My friend got a interview in CS-ML at ICL, and he told me that there were only some non-acadmic questions, such as why this course, why ICL etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_z)
    Hi,

My friend got a interview in CS-ML at ICL, and he told me that there were only some non-acadmic questions, such as why this course, why ICL etc.
    Thanks for the response.

Is your friend currently an undergraduate student? What does he study?

Do you know what academic questions he was asked?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, he is in CS department.

I think both UCL and ICL are not going to ask academic questions in the interview for M.sc. As I know, it is just to discuss your motivation, future plan and experience.

FYI: I got an interview in Machine Learning Mphil at Cambridge. They asked me to do a representation about linear gaussian model (Of course, had a Q&A part).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, he is in CS department.

I think both UCL and ICL are not going to ask academic questions in the interview for M.sc. As I know, it is just to discuss your motivation, future plan and experience.

FYI: I got an interview in Machine Learning Mphil at Cambridge. They asked me to do a representation about linear gaussian model (Of course, had a Q&A part).
    Thanks.

I applied to the MPhil at Cambridge too.

When did you apply and how long did it take to get an interview?

Any other academic questions you got asked or just the one?

Did you get the offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classenal FC)
    Thanks.

I applied to the MPhil at Cambridge too.

When did you apply and how long did it take to get an interview?

Any other academic questions you got asked or just the one?

Did you get the offer?
    A week after the reference submitted.

They gave me a paper when invited me and I only have 1 week to prepare. They asked me why ML at first in the interview. Then then let me give the presentation about that paper (;<:78967A Unifying Review of Linear Gaussian Models, S Roweis, 1998). They interrupted me and asked some questions about the detail of what I said. It took about 30 minutes.

No, I failed. I know some people have very high grades but still failed in the application to this course (Most of them have got offers in other courses like ACS at Oxbridge). I think they may prefer candidates who have solid knowledge in statistics.

ReputationRep:

They gave me a paper when invited me and I only have 1 week to prepare. They asked me why ML at first in the interview. Then then let me give the presentation about that paper (;<:78967A Unifying Review of Linear Gaussian Models, S Roweis, 1998). They interrupted me and asked some questions about the detail of what I said. It took about 30 minutes.

No, I failed. I know some people have very high grades but still failed in the application to this course (Most of them have got offers in other courses like ACS at Oxbridge). I think they may prefer candidates who have solid knowledge in statistics.
    Ah OK. Sounds quite tough!

Many thanks for all the information. Best of luck with your masters applications.

I am not too bothered about where I get in, as long as I get one of my choices. ML is such a fascinating subject, I'd be content to study it at any good UK university.

ReputationRep:
    Ah OK. Sounds quite tough!

Many thanks for all the information. Best of luck with your masters applications.

I am not too bothered about where I get in, as long as I get one of my choices. ML is such a fascinating subject, I'd be content to study it at any good UK university.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone apply to the MSc in Machine Learning at Imperial? I have an interview with them around mid feb.

I am wondering what to expect. Can anyone share their MSc Interview experience?

Thanks
    Hey I also have an interview in June and I would be grateful if you could tell me what the interview involved.

Thanks

ReputationRep:

What were some of the questions they asked you? Were there any questions related to the content of the paper but not discussed in the paper?

I got an invitation to the same interview and I am quite stressed out haha!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mathew_z,

Do you think you can tell us more about some of the questions they asked you in the interview with the presentation on the paper Unifying Review of Linear Gaussian Models, S Roweis, 1998?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john_z123)
    Hi Mathew_z,

Do you think you can tell us more about some of the questions they asked you in the interview with the presentation on the paper Unifying Review of Linear Gaussian Models, S Roweis, 1998?
    it depends on your presentation contents. I think any terminologies in your speaking may be a question. For me, they asked the definition of hidden Markov model and why it is useful, properties of Gaussian models (e.g, what distribution does a product of two gaussian models belong to), and what is X (obviously, X means feature vectors).

In my opinion,it is not necessary to prepare all sections of that paper carefully, because the time(30min including QA) did not allow me to present all of them. So just focusing on the several sections may be a good strategy.

I think you might want to check out the lecture videos and notes of CS229 at Stanford (available online), it should be very helpful.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Woaaa, that is so helpful! thanks

ReputationRep:
    it depends on your presentation contents. I think any terminologies in your speaking may be a question. For me, they asked the definition of hidden Markov model and why it is useful, properties of Gaussian models (e.g, what distribution does a product of two gaussian models belong to), and what is X (obviously, X means feature vectors).

In my opinion,it is not necessary to prepare all sections of that paper carefully, because the time(30min including QA) did not allow me to present all of them. So just focusing on the several sections may be a good strategy.

I think you might want to check out the lecture videos and notes of CS229 at Stanford (available online), it should be very helpful.

Good luck
    Hi, thank you for your detailed reply. May I know whether they will ask some very mathematical questions like the maximization process and equations in the EM algorithm (which is a very big part of that paper)?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.