Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I wanted to know from current uni chemistry students whether they know or have someone in their classes who has studied a BTEC in science at college.

If you know of or have a friend who has done so:
    • How are they coping with the course?
    • Do they enjoy it?

The reason I'm asking is because I currently study a BTEC extended diploma in applied science at sixth form, which is equal to 3 A levels. I'm worried that I won't be prepared for the course content at uni due to my current course not going as in depth as an A level chemistry course would - although we have covered some important fundamental units and techniques.
    To try and counteract this, I have been trying to learn the parts of the course that we don't cover on my college course, in my spare time. Hopefully this should help but I'm still scared, for lack of a better word haha! :eek:

I have offers from a few uni's for Chemistry. They've obviously seen the course I'm doing and its content because it was included on my UCAS application so this would surely mean that they'd think I'd be fine studying with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronhaar)
    Basically, I wanted to know from current uni chemistry students whether they know or have someone in their classes who has studied a BTEC in science at college.

If you know of or have a friend who has done so:
    • How are they coping with the course?
    • Do they enjoy it?

The reason I'm asking is because I currently study a BTEC extended diploma in applied science at sixth form, which is equal to 3 A levels. I'm worried that I won't be prepared for the course content at uni due to my current course not going as in depth as an A level chemistry course would - although we have covered some important fundamental units and techniques.
    To try and counteract this, I have been trying to learn the parts of the course that we don't cover on my college course, in my spare time. Hopefully this should help but I'm still scared, for lack of a better word haha! :eek:

I have offers from a few uni's for Chemistry. They've obviously seen the course I'm doing and its content because it was included on my UCAS application so this would surely mean that they'd think I'd be fine studying with them?
    Congrats for your offers:clap2:.
    Simply,the fact that unis gave you offers is the answer to your quest.
    They accept your qualifications and they are sure you can cope with the course.
    Good luck and be optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I have the same concerns! I am studying and Access to HE science course at college and I was worried about being out of my depth once I got there. I have however had some offers after having interviews and feeling completely inadequate compared to the alevel students! That gave me faith in my knowledge becUse I said at interview I wouldn't want an offer if they thought I may struggle because I didn't want to be out of my depth before I even started my degree! I am reading the AS and A2 chemistry books in my spare time though just to be sure.
    Does your course have exams? Mine does not, it's assignments only so I'm worried about my exam technique mainly :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laur_pea)
    Hello I have the same concerns! I am studying and Access to HE science course at college and I was worried about being out of my depth once I got there. I have however had some offers after having interviews and feeling completely inadequate compared to the alevel students! That gave me faith in my knowledge becUse I said at interview I wouldn't want an offer if they thought I may struggle because I didn't want to be out of my depth before I even started my degree! I am reading the AS and A2 chemistry books in my spare time though just to be sure.
    Does your course have exams? Mine does not, it's assignments only so I'm worried about my exam technique mainly :-)
    No, mine is coursework only as well but it's taught as separate subjects e.g. Chem, Bio and Phys!
    Im going to continue to read the AS & A2 chem books I have and get some mock exam papers off my chemistry teacher at college and see how I go.

ReputationRep:
    Bump: I'd like to hear from anyone who has studied a BTEC science course and is now doing a chemistry based course at university. How are you finding it?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.