Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I know that I don't feel the same way about him as he does about me, and to be honest I'm not happy. So it would be unfair of me to stay with him. We've been together for just under a year now and our 1 year anniversary is coming up so I want to end things before then so he doesn't make some adorable gesture which will make this all so much harder. However, we are mid exams, and he's in 3rd year uni so they really really matter, and I feel breaking up with him could have an impact on his results. What should I do?

You should do what is best for you, esp. as you've made the decision in your heart. Life is hard, things like this happen, he must learn to cope with it as if he were an adult. Surely, unless he is insensitive or self absorbed, he knows that something is not quite right already. Staying with him at a cost to yourself won't do him any good in the long run. He may even be manipulating you into fearing what a breakup would do to him - a sure sign he is not worth investing in.

ReputationRep:
    End it. No point being with him if you don't want to have sex with him. Find someone else to have sex with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know that I don't feel the same way about him as he does about me, and to be honest I'm not happy. So it would be unfair of me to stay with him. We've been together for just under a year now and our 1 year anniversary is coming up so I want to end things before then so he doesn't make some adorable gesture which will make this all so much harder. However, we are mid exams, and he's in 3rd year uni so they really really matter, and I feel breaking up with him could have an impact on his results. What should I do?
    There is no point staying in a relationship for the sake of it, best to end it now if you are not happy, least then gives him chance to find someone else to be happy with.

Happiness comes from God.

Your relationship with God must be good - for happiness to truly exist.

Happiness in this life is temp - just like drugs and drinking - high/drunk/happy for a few hours then back down to feeling like crap.

See...

Find a relationship with God - then you will be happy - even if you are in the most abusive relationship - knowing God is there for you through bad and good will enable you to always be strong.

Good luck....

(I know when 'God' is mention - bashing begins - even though this is a country of freedom of speech etc - so I say Bring it )

ReputationRep:
    You wait until the exams pass, then you break up with him.

away from the post, and its just gossip:

I wonder why if we care about someone too much, the other person will tend to leave and break up. However, if we ignore him/her, and treat her/him badly as we don't care, the other person will stick to us. I don't know if this is right? why do people stick to the person who gives them always hard and tough time. They like it somehow.

ReputationRep:
    He is a guy so should get over it, it's more unfair on you as you are a lady. Either:
    i) break up, be friends so he gets thru exams.
    ii) make him hate u then break up so he gets over it quicker.
    iii) lie to break up so he sees it's not his fault then tell him u lied after he finished exams. DONT forget to tell him u lied.

Depends on how obsessive he is and how he's like over u..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    Wait till he finishes his exams, and then have an honest conversation with him.

ReputationRep:
    Happiness comes from God.

Your relationship with God must be good - for happiness to truly exist.

Happiness in this life is temp - just like drugs and drinking - high/drunk/happy for a few hours then back down to feeling like crap.

See...

Find a relationship with God - then you will be happy - even if you are in the most abusive relationship - knowing God is there for you through bad and good will enable you to always be strong.

Good luck....

(I know when 'God' is mention - bashing begins - even though this is a country of freedom of speech etc - so I say Bring it )
    Religious people seem to struggle with the concept of freedom of speech. It means anyone can speak their mind, it doesn't mean religious views aren't to be criticised (don't feel bad, the Pope also recently showed he didn't understand/accept this). Obviously people are going to disgree with you when you say idiotic things like that you can be happy in an abusive relationship, whether it's for religious reasons or not.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose you might let him get through his exams before you dump him. But if he's already sussing that the relationship has gone of the boil then the run up period to getting dumped can be as bad as it happening in my experience. In this case I would go for it but be as kind and supportive as you can.

ReputationRep:
    I would wait until the end of the exams, because if he reacts badly it could have a seriously negative effect on his results, and then have a chat with him. Remain open minded, and don't decide that you're breaking up right away - if there are issues in your relationship then give him the chance to talk them through with you and see if you can reach a solution. If you decide that you can't, then yes, you should break up - because you don't want to be with somebody who doesn't make you happy.

You might think that it's unfair for you to break up with him, but in actual fact I think it's unfair of you to stay with him, knowing you're not happy in the relationship - because this just gives him more time to fall for you, when you know full well that you won't be staying with him forever, so the breakup will have to happen at some point.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.