Turn on thread page Beta

Are joint masters a thing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if it's possible to do a masters between two different schools? For example I'm interested in doing some units in policy studies and some units in (human) geography, I've seen two courses that I like, both at Bristol they are located in different schools but the same faculty. If this is possible does anyone have any experience on a post grad course with this structure?

ReputationRep:
    You can certainly find hybrid Masters courses covering aspects of those issues, which you can probably tailor to your interests.

An example I found after a quick Google (which means there are probably more), is the KCL MA/MSc Environment, Politics & Globalisation:
    http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/department...epg/index.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've had a look at some of those, I was hoping to stay at Bristol as that's where I am at the moment but they don't have any courses like that.

ReputationRep:
    Do you specifically want a taught Masters? If you did an MRes with an emphasis on guided independent research, you could probably find a research question which crossed schools and allowed you to attend a range of lectures if they were related.

Someone in my department did an MRes project which crossed between archaeology and environmental science - they had supervisors in both departments. Took a bit of juggling mind - the times when they disagreed with each other got a bit sticky. You have to be pretty confident to be able to manage that kind of working relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I'm worried about, organising what would most likely be a difficult course. I think I'd be more suited to an MRes anyway tbh so that's good news. Thanks for all the advice, very useful!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In some cases if your supervisor has good collaborative links with another lab/group elsewhere, you might be able to arrange having dual supervision. I don't think it would be too difficult to arrange. But if it's a taught master's then it will be more difficult if there isn't already a programme in place...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.