Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in working in the IT industry in fields such as software engineering, computer security etc, am I at a disadvantage if I choose not to do a fourth year in university, which will grant me an Integrated Masters in Computer Science?

ReputationRep:
    I think this really depends on the degree and your career path, for myself I study mechanical engineering and a masters degree (here in the UK) is the quickest way to your chartership (coupled with 4 years experience), which improves your career prospects.

I'm not sure how it is with IT but some of my friends that work in IT don't even have degrees, a lot of the time now though you have to have your degree just to get your foot in the door to demonstrate your skills.

I'm sure someone in IT can answer this better, is there a form of chartership or governing body for IT, branches of technology etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PleaseMindTheGap)
    I'm interested in working in the IT industry in fields such as software engineering, computer security etc, am I at a disadvantage if I choose not to do a fourth year in university, which will grant me an Integrated Masters in Computer Science?
    You not disadvantaged by doing a masters till later in your career. In IT industry, experience is more important. So work experience, internships, sandwich/placement year is what give you a much higher chance of working within IT industry. Qualifications and Degrees are good to do, to get your foot in the door. Masters are usually aiming at people going into research or experienced people within the industry looking to further their skills and progress their career even further. Main chartership for IT is British Computer Society so look them up. However extra year in (postgrad) won't hurt.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by PleaseMindTheGap)
    Hi,

Its definitely not a disadvantage if you don't do a masters! Quite a few companies in the IT industry will ask that you meet their requirements in your original / first degree specifically. So although it could be seen as an added bonus to have a masters - it definitely won't disadvantage you to not!

Hope this helps

Natalie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.