Lord Of The Rings -discuss Watch

This discussion is closed.
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Well...as an avid film fan I felt the need to do this- I am distraught by the length of time it has taken/still is for the film to come out to buy- 'late August' *sobs* ah well...nearly there-ish

Does anyone have anything interesting to say...or just anything to say - about the films/characters/anything related etc etc as I generally like to talk about it and would be curious to know how many other fans there are out there...

*egan1 think she has done this discussion starter very badly indeed...but felt the need and did it anyway*
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Its a shame that the movie was really short, and inaccurate from the book. Some things, yes i accept that they add flavor to the film, and are good for the storyline, but some of it was really bad, and what they changed was annoying and pointless.

I still love the movies though. Luckily, it is possible to get them on DVD, if you know where to look...
But i wont talk about that too much.
Al:Guest
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I'm one of the few people who preferred TTT to FotR, mainly because of all the different scenery it had, plus I much prefer the second book anyway.

The directors cut of FotR was much, much better than the theatrical release. If i'd have seen that first then I probably would rate it as highly as TTT. Then again, if the directors cut of FotR is anything to go by, it should be even better when it is released for TTT.

Also, I think Viggo Mortenson has done brilliantly as Aragorn, not sure if I should be crediting him or those in charge of casting.

Generally though, neither have come close to Magnolia / The Wicker Man / Gladiator / Scarface.
Al:Guest
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
You mean the shops Iluvatar?
Egan1
Rep:
?
I mean to read the books...I did start but had to stop to read something for english and then couldn;t get back into it -eg didn;t know where to go from and was not prepared to re-read the intro...I might scive the cd audio thingy off one of my chums and listen to it- as long as the narrators voice doesn't piss me off too much...

I know some people who have got TTT but I am not into the whole illegal downloading thing- it's a great movie and I feel they've deserved the cash...just a shame about having to wait *sigh*

I think TTT had a lot more humour in it, I don't know which I prefer...am eager to see the directors cut also...I wonder if there is as much extra footage as with the last film? hopefully should be.

And I agree the casting is great, must say I'm a bit of a Legolas fan- all that archery :P

I have only seen Gladiator out of the films you have praised...I did greatly enjoy it but for me LOTR stays in the top spot
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I despise the comedy in it, really made me feel sick when Legolas 'surfed' down the stairs in Helms Deep on his shield ... no need for that at all. The books are well worth reading - I thoroughly reccomend having another go!

I don't agree that actors deserve £30 million per movie, I think that's plain stupid. Millions of people would give their right arm to earn a millionth of that per month. I definately think they did a good job of making the movie and they should get credit for it, not hundreds of millions of dollars.
Egan1
Rep:
?
When I spoke of the commedy factor I was meaning the obvious jokes- eg those about Gimli and dwarves etc...the sliding down the stairs moment was clearly not a joke- just incredably cheesy

As for your thoughts on the money factor- it is ridiculous that that is what actors get payed- as indeed the do in many big movies -not just LOTR...however I am still not prepared to illegally download it etc etc- wher's the morality in that?
Egan1
Rep:
?
To add another cheesy moment in TTT -there is the bit when legolas sort of flys onto the galloping horse...but I confess the cheesiness of that made me laugh -especially on the third viewing (so maybe a little obssessive but I nearly went again for a forth time!) when I leant over to make sure my friend didn;t miss it and head banged her...oops!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I thought that horse moment was wicked - had to rewind my illegal copy and watch it again in slow-mo actually.

I don't see it as being imoral compared to charging the prices that we're charged for cinema tickets now! They make heaps of dolla so I don't feel guilty. I'm not exactly a large scale white skinned greasy haired web pirate either, just when a film won't be released for ages and i'm desperate to see it again, as well as being skint, I get it off t' net.
Egan1
Rep:
?
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unregistered
[B]I'm not exactly a large scale white skinned greasy haired web pirate

lol
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i think there is going to be nearly 45 mins extra in the extended version. i hope they put in more of treebeard - was it just me who thought those scenes were practically cut off in the middle, they were so short?
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah *Nervous grin*, the shops.
Egan1
Rep:
?
shops?

slightly confubled- may well have been a joke I completely missed? or perhaps not relating to the post above?

My sister is headed off to Glastonbury (excuse spelling if tis incorrect) tomorrow and apparently they're showing TTT in a film tent one night...*sigh*...maybe I could sneak into her hiking-style backpack....
!!!_Azam.com
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Or, Egan, you could try entering the competition at UKHotMovies.com - they are giving away ten cinema tickets to see The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King as well as posters of the movie. Enter here: http://www.UKHotMovies.com/competition

Good luck
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
You know most of the big UK cinema chains will be showing the EE versions of FOTR and TT in the run up to ROTK, if you'd like to see them on the big screen again! I know I do!
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Does anyone agree 'Fellowship of the Ring' is one of the most boring books in English literature. My advice, watch the first film, then carry on from there with the Two Towers.
Egan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unregistered)
You know most of the big UK cinema chains will be showing the EE versions of FOTR and TT in the run up to ROTK, if you'd like to see them on the big screen again! I know I do!
Yes I'll certainly be looking out for reshowings and LOTR 3-in-one stakeouts in the local cinemas.

---

It's odd looking back at some of these posts, I only wrote them a few months ago but all the same, shows a small change.
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
isnt return of the king said it will be the best film so far out of lotr
Egan1
Rep:
?
(Original post by eric bischoff)
isnt return of the king said it will be the best film so far out of lotr
Do you mean Peter Jackson said that? He did, but then he wants people to go and earn him lots of dosh and win him awards by going to see it so it could be a slightly *cough* corrupted viewpoint. We'll just have to wait and see. I don't doubt that it will be very good.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1130)
79.02%
Leave (300)
20.98%

Watched Threads