Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Depressed about the prospect of dropping out. watch

Announcements

I'm studying on UCL's Arts and Sciences course at the moment but I'm not enjoying it at all. I wish I'd applied to history now. I can't switch courses because history is so popular. I think the only sensible thing for me to do is drop out and re-apply for 2016. I'll be 21 at that point though which seems really depressing. I feel like I will have wasted the previous three years (I took a gap year too). Everyone else from high school will have graduated when I'll just be starting out. I'm probably going to stick out the rest of the year because I've paid tuition now but I can't see myself changing my mind. I feel so terrible, like the worst I've ever felt in my life. I'm so disappointed in my decisions. I feel like I've wasted my dad's money (he's supporting me), even though he knows I'm stressed about it all. How can I stop comparing myself to other people so I can make a rational decision?

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm sorry to hear you are not enjoying your course. I am all too aware of how complex and frustrating it can be to switch course. Please don't worry about your age you really can't afford to compare yourself to others and where they are because all that really matters is your path to happiness! It sounds a bit odd but when you get to end of your life all you have to look back on is your own experience and journey no one else's will really matter!

I was just wondering if since you are doing arts and sciences if there is the possibility to take up further history modules in subsequent years and to then perhaps do a history masters afterwards? Is it the course content itself that you are not enjoying or is something to do with your peers/tutors? I met a girl going Arts and Sciences at UCL earlier this year and while she seemed to have a very interesting array of modules I did wonder how she made course friends with being so spread out over different departments.

At 19 I fell off what I call the conveyor-belt of life and left university due to an eating disorder. I was so disappointed with myself and compared myself with others and where they. I am now much older and just started my degree (at Kings!) and thought I would be married and buying my first house by now! I do feel like I'm behind in a lot of ways but I am happy that I found something I like and that I took the time to get my head into a better space. I still get a bit angry at myself sometimes but what's done is done and I am now on a way better course at a better uni. I didn't think Kings would take me after leaving another course I felt like damaged goods but they were totally understanding. It is definitely a risk and only one that you can choose. I actually phoned the admissions department up myself anonymously and gave a similar story to mine to see whether I would have a shot and they actually encouraged me to apply. So it can work out but do your research first

If you are in first year you will be fine to start a three year course again but if you are in second year you may have to fund the first year of a new degree yourself... If you really can't afford it then a piece of unconventional advice would be to keep seeing your doctor before you do drop out and get a medical report I had to use my medical records to access funding from Student Finance a second time around plus get a letter from the uni proving that I tried to work with the uni to solve my difficulties you see. It's something to think about carefully though because not everyone wants that on their medical records mine are pretty dire!

Please don't feel too guilty about your dad. Whether or not you went to uni you would have still needed feeding! And he knows you're stressed so it's great that he has some level of understanding.

Best wishes! Let me know if you need any more advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm studying on UCL's Arts and Sciences course at the moment but I'm not enjoying it at all. I wish I'd applied to history now. I can't switch courses because history is so popular. I think the only sensible thing for me to do is drop out and re-apply for 2016. I'll be 21 at that point though which seems really depressing. I feel like I will have wasted the previous three years (I took a gap year too). Everyone else from high school will have graduated when I'll just be starting out. I'm probably going to stick out the rest of the year because I've paid tuition now but I can't see myself changing my mind. I feel so terrible, like the worst I've ever felt in my life. I'm so disappointed in my decisions. I feel like I've wasted my dad's money (he's supporting me), even though he knows I'm stressed about it all. How can I stop comparing myself to other people so I can make a rational decision?
    I was just going to say you need stop comparing yourself and work at your own pace.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.