Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Maths teacher is putting pressure on me to do the higher paper, help me please Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have done Foundation past papers over the past 5 months.

I have got very comfortable C grades (85/100) and (80/100).

I am very comfortable and I know that I will repeat this come June.

However, my Maths teacher is really pressuring me to do the higher paper! Yet I do not really know how the do a lot of the higher tier stuff!

She keeps telling me *IT IS EASIER TO GET A C IN THE HIGHER PAPER PASS MARK IS 28* (or whatever) but I find it very easy to get a C in the foundation paper! The questions are easy.

For me that 28 in the Higher Paper will be a far way away!

I am not interested in doing any further Mathematics! I just need a C grade in Maths, that is all.

Please help.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, trust me I was in a Foundation Paper in Year 9 but my teacher pushed me when I was in year 10 (when I moved to set 1) to do Higher Paper. It's just practicing past paper questions and being confident to ask your teacher for topics that you need help on. Your teacher might not be pressurising you . She/he might just want to push you to the next level....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xjay1234)

However, my Maths teacher is really pressuring me to do the higher paper! Yet I do not really know how the do a lot of the higher tier stuff!

She keeps telling me *IT IS EASIER TO GET A C IN THE HIGHER PAPER PASS MARK IS 28* (or whatever) but I find it very easy to get a C in the foundation paper! The questions are easy.

I am not interested in doing any further Mathematics! I just need a C grade in Maths, that is all.

Please help.
    why don't you try to get your parents involved in this decision

ReputationRep:
    For those aiming for a C, doing the higher paper is usually easier because of the low pass mark compared to the foundation. There is a lot of stuff that you will find in both the foundation and higher papers, and even if you can't do the top stuff, some of the higher C/B grade questions ought to be doable. Why don't you try to do a higher paper and see how it goes?

ReputationRep:

Please help.

Her 28 is a bit optimistic

However ... I am going to suggest that you look at a higher past paper ... Have a go at one this weekend and see how you feel then

This is not the easiest of decisions ... As a teacher I generally encourage students to take higher if they want a C ... Since there is a substantial overlap between the papers your 80-85 mean that you are already answering questions that are also on the higher paper .... Just by doing exactly the same questions you will gain over 30 marks on the higher paper

ReputationRep:
    Because: I am comfortable with the foundation. I have had a go at some of the higher tier tops (A and A* questions) and I find them difficult.

I am not a mathematician. I am just a student that needs a C or above.

My teacher said that the end of the foundation paper is the start of the higher paper.

But I feel it is right for me to stick in my lane.

According to the Edexcel website they say that for students that are borderline D/C should go for the foundation as it is easier.

I am not borderline I am very comfortable C at foundation.

However, Maths is not a subject that I am looking to go into further study.

I purchased the GCP Edexcel Higher Book. The first time I opened it I had to close it! I am looking to give it away.

(Original post by Paralove)
    For those aiming for a C, doing the higher paper is usually easier because of the low pass mark compared to the foundation. There is a lot of stuff that you will find in both the foundation and higher papers, and even if you can't do the top stuff, some of the higher C/B grade questions ought to be doable. Why don't you try to do a higher paper and see how it goes?

ReputationRep:
    28 as in 56 overall for a C (According to last year's grade boundaries for Edexcel GCSE Maths)

It is a thing of *do the higher paper but work harder to get the C* or do the foundation paper *but answer majority of the questions (which are easy) right*

Anyway thanks for you help.

(Original post by TenOfThem)
    Her 28 is a bit optimistic

However ... I am going to suggest that you look at a higher past paper ... Have a go at one this weekend and see how you feel then

This is not the easiest of decisions ... As a teacher I generally encourage students to take higher if they want a C ... Since there is a substantial overlap between the papers your 80-85 mean that you are already answering questions that are also on the higher paper .... Just by doing exactly the same questions you will gain over 30 marks on the higher paper

ReputationRep:
    28 as in 56 overall for a C (According to last year's grade boundaries for Edexcel GCSE Maths)

It is a thing of *do the higher paper but work harder to get the C* or do the foundation paper *but answer majority of the questions (which are easy) right*

Anyway thanks for you help.
    You seem to have missed the point a little ... Why do you think that you need to work harder on the higher paper

On the foundation paper you need to do the first half of the paper and get everything correct ... These are of course easy questions but time in the exam has to be spent on getting them all correct

Then you have the second half of the paper and you need to get 30 marks on this section

Imagine if you sat down in the foundation exam and there was a note on your desk saying "we know you can do the first 12 question so please start at Q13" ... That is what doing the higher paper is like ... The questions start from the second half of the foundation paper

I am not saying that your teacher is correct .... Every year I have some students who panic in the higher so we enter them for the foundation ... If you try a higher and seriously think you cannot get a C then fight your corner
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think you should be aiming for a B. There is no way you won't achieve the C you require and who knows how much progress you can make in the remaining months?

ReputationRep:
    Have they given you a mock exam? Ask your teacher to give you a higher and just try it...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.