Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in my second year of a Ma in Social Work. Im currently resitting my placement essays with the help of the head of my course. My tutot suggested I complete the essay for the next module with his help and then go straight onto my placement rather than try and complete the research module (for the dissertation) and have a delayed placement (I'm not guaranteed further funding if my placement runs late and im a single parent so a delayed placement could cause me not to be able to qualify). He said that once my placement is done, I can then consider doing a dissertation which would give me the MA.

Im a bit confused though. I had thought I had to complete the MA inorder to qualify as a social worker but the head of my course has said this is most certainly not the case. A Postgraduate Diploma in social work qualifies you as a social worker and the only advantage of the Masters is it helps when it comes to applying for jobs. Now I know the head of my course isnt likely to be wrong but just wondering if anyone knows if this is correct?

Really not sure what the point of doing a masters is if it is. thanks :-)

ReputationRep:
    According to the government careers advice service, you need either an undergraduate or Masters degree to be a social worker if you're going the academic route:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/social_wo...quirements.htm

They don't mention a PG Dip.

I would imagine that you'd be competing for jobs with people who have a full Masters, which I can't think would be helpful . A PGDip would render you overqualified for posts requiring an undergrad degree. In your shoes, I'd go for the full Masters if it was at all practical.

ReputationRep:
    Just spoken to my tutor again. It seems a PgDip does qualify as a social worker but its advantagous to have a Masters. A Distinction in a PgDip is better than a Pass in a Masters though so a Masters isnt always better.

Basically, once you've got a full time job the qualification you have isnt very important at all but its getting that job in the first place. I shall have to see how I feel after the placement is done but I'm sure I will do the masters. I've come to do the masters so might aswell

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.