Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Kind of panicking at the moment. How much are we all roughly entitled too on a student loan? My parents, earn roughly 30k and 11k, 41k.
    They are struggling to pay for things at the moment, never mind when I go to Uni.
    So I've had my offer at the university I want to go to. It's roughly £119 a week for the accommodation.
    What should my student loan cover? My parents cant afford to give me any money whats so ever, and I've worked since I was 13, so when I go to Uni I don't intend on working anymore.
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e4effort)
    Hi all,

Kind of panicking at the moment. How much are we all roughly entitled too on a student loan? My parents, earn roughly 30k and 11k, 41k.
    They are struggling to pay for things at the moment, never mind when I go to Uni.
    So I've had my offer at the university I want to go to. It's roughly £119 a week for the accommodation.
    What should my student loan cover? My parents cant afford to give me any money whats so ever, and I've worked since I was 13, so when I go to Uni I don't intend on working anymore.
    Cheers.
    This is the official Student Finance calculator:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Feed your details in to get an estimate of your funding entitlement.

Be aware that the Tuition Fee Loan goes straight to the uni. You never see it, so disregard it when figuring out your budget. It will just be the Maintenance Loan and (if you qualify) the Maintenance Grant which you will get direct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e4effort)
    Hi all,

Cheers.
    You might find you need to work if your parents wont give you any money. Student finance is based on household income and the assumption parents will help out. According to the calculator with the £41,000 figure you gave for household income you would get £5919, obviously that figure will change when you give exact details to student finance. But assuming its a 40 week accomodation contract that would leave you with £1,159 to spend on general living costs. You could also get a student overdraft.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It depends whether you study in London or outside of London. The figure given by Jelly, assumes you're not studying in London.

Your student loan is for whatever you need it for. Have you look into private rent, instead of student halls? Might be cheaper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.