Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Speaking to a few guys at Uni currently (I'm in the current application cycle) and they all say one I thing I really need is a laptop. I already have a decent desktop but they say it is too much effort to ferry that too and from Uni and as my birthday is coming up this is probably the only time I'll have enough money to buy one between now and starting Uni. Is a laptop something you actually need or could I get by with a desktop?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Depends on your course, but generally I'd say they're not needed, just convenient to have.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You can get away with a Desktop - you'll most likely find using pen and paper easier for taking notes, it's just whether you want the convenience of portability, particularly being able to take your computer into the library when writing essays.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    They're not actually 'needed' but it can be dependant on the course and person. They're convenient but not wholly necessary.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Much easier than a desktop. And does mean not having to try and find a free computer in the library as deadlines loom.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.