Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all,

    I was hoping someone could help me. I started my undergrad course in 2010, I immediately got a student account with HSBC with a 1000 overdraft which i've been constantly in and out of throughout my undergrad. I graduated in 2013, and I received a letter from the bank stating that my account was being changed to a graduate account. The letter also stated that i'd still have my overdraft for 2 more years, which will be till july 2015.

    I decided to go back to uni to do my PGCE in Primary education which I started in September last year. I informed the the bank, and I had my account changed back to a student account. I specifically said to the adviser that the reason I had it changed is because I don't want the overdraft to be closed in July, as I will need the overdraft to support me financially from July (when my student finance money runs out) till september (my first pay cheque from my teaching job, thats if I get one!). I asked if the same terms still applied once I graduated, so my student bank account will change to a graduate, then I will have 2 years before it closed. I'm pretty sure she said yeah, but now i'm worrying . I can't remember for sure, and I don't have anything in writing stating these terms....

    I rang an advisor from the bank and asked them when it was due to close, I don't think she really understood what I was asking. All she said was that it will be reviewed in September and then I will be notified if the overdraft will be closed or not, and if its going to be closed, I will be given 2 months notice. She didn't really seem to understand English very well, so I didn't ask her to clarify....

    I was wondering if anyone could help me clear this up? I don't know if I will still be entitled to the 2 year graduate account with the overdraft because this is the 2nd time i've had a student account with HSBC. (i'm sorry if this is confusing!)

    All I need is an overdraft (which doesn't charge me interest) to help me with the couple of months after i've graduated, till I get my first pay check. Then I will be fine! Ahhhh :mad::confused:!

    Thanks in advance!
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.