The Student Room Group

French at University

Hey all, i'm currently at AS Level studying French, Classical Civilisations, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. My problem is that I love all my subject and want to carry them all on but at University I can only see myself either doing Physics, Physics with French or French with a new language.

I would really like to go into teaching and although I wouldn't like to do the proof based maths at university, the content we are doing now appeals to me and I would find teaching it nice. Physics however I don't really like practicals and so doing a degree in it would have that downside element and I would detest doing experiments in class.

Despite this, even though I struggle learning languages, I adore French and can really see myself teaching it. My problem is that if I decided that I wanted to become a language teacher, would I need 2 languages at A level to get onto the French with new language (probably German seeing as i've started self teaching it a little) or would just French suffice. Otherwise would doing Physics and French allow me to teach either or only Physics?

Predicted A2 Grades:
Maths - A*
Fur Maths - A*
Physics - A*
French - A
Classics - A

Thanks for any advice!
Well firstly I recommend you scrap your predicted A2 grades. I know it sounds harsh but at the moment they're based on GCSE results, which is a significantly different ball game to A Levels. Keep working hard at AS and when you get your results, you can get a really good idea of your predicted grades. (My predicted grades when from ABCD from GCSE results to A*AA from AS results - so anything can happen)

A language teacher often speaks two languages or more, but this is only to increase their employability and versatility. So you could simply do a French degree and go through teacher training afterwards without an issue. The only setback would be that your job opportunities would be slightly more limited (but by no means harder).

You could try a new language ab-initio, with all language unis offering French, Spanish and/or German. Some universities also offer Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian and Italian, with some offering even more obscure languages like Czech or Korean. A lot of language degrees are flexible too, so if you don't like it, you can change the structure.

Get your AS results and then go to some open days, you will by then have a much clearer picture of what you want to do. #

Bonne chance!
Original post by Swifty139
Hey all, i'm currently at AS Level studying French, Classical Civilisations, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. My problem is that I love all my subject and want to carry them all on but at University I can only see myself either doing Physics, Physics with French or French with a new language.

I would really like to go into teaching and although I wouldn't like to do the proof based maths at university, the content we are doing now appeals to me and I would find teaching it nice. Physics however I don't really like practicals and so doing a degree in it would have that downside element and I would detest doing experiments in class.

Despite this, even though I struggle learning languages, I adore French and can really see myself teaching it. My problem is that if I decided that I wanted to become a language teacher, would I need 2 languages at A level to get onto the French with new language (probably German seeing as i've started self teaching it a little) or would just French suffice. Otherwise would doing Physics and French allow me to teach either or only Physics?

Predicted A2 Grades:
Maths - A*
Fur Maths - A*
Physics - A*
French - A
Classics - A

Thanks for any advice!

You wouldn't need two languages at A Level, but I would definitely pick up a new language at university alongside French if you decided the do that. Even if you don't keep the new language for the full 4 years it would still be an asset. Most PGCE courses will want you to offer two languages, and although you can apply as a single language student and there are special summer courses for PGCE applicants in second languages, it would be advantageous to apply with two.

If you are set on teaching then I would carefully research PGCE options. I don't know what it is like for Physics or Maths, but they may specify how much of your degree had to be in your main subject. If you know the PGCE is your end goal, then you don't want to study for a degree that won't get you there! For languages, for example, they often say you should have spent 50% of your degree on your main language.

And as the poster above said, give your AS Levels some time, by the end of the year you may have a much clearer idea what you'd like to do
Reply 3
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Well firstly I recommend you scrap your predicted A2 grades. I know it sounds harsh but at the moment they're based on GCSE results, which is a significantly different ball game to A Levels. Keep working hard at AS and when you get your results, you can get a really good idea of your predicted grades. (My predicted grades when from ABCD from GCSE results to A*AA from AS results - so anything can happen)

A language teacher often speaks two languages or more, but this is only to increase their employability and versatility. So you could simply do a French degree and go through teacher training afterwards without an issue. The only setback would be that your job opportunities would be slightly more limited (but by no means harder).

You could try a new language ab-initio, with all language unis offering French, Spanish and/or German. Some universities also offer Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian and Italian, with some offering even more obscure languages like Czech or Korean. A lot of language degrees are flexible too, so if you don't like it, you can change the structure.

Get your AS results and then go to some open days, you will by then have a much clearer picture of what you want to do. #

Bonne chance!

Thanks! I'm not really expecting those grades anyway, my aim is all A's and for me I think it's achievable and it seems to be what most uni's want for a language degree

Mock grades:
Physics - A
French - A
Classics - A* (I got 90% exactly and even though I can't get an A* at AS my school put this as my grade?)
Maths - B
Further Maths - B

I think i'll definitely go to some open days and hopefully get a clearer view then, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending