Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    im taking my additional science exams at the end of the year and since failing my science mocks I've picked up the revision- 3 hours and 40 mins per science subject each week studying the my gcse science videos...

Heres my problems, I understand the content now for some topics thoroughly however then when i answer the exam question, I fail some of them (the harder ones) and i feel like they are alien to me and do not relate to the my gcse science video???

How can I improve on this, is using that site for revision not appropriate... I am desperate for the A* at the end of the year.

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    Bump!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Instead of just learning info info info from videos, text books, notes etc try doing exam style questions as well.

If you know all the syllabus and everything you have to know, you still wont get top marks, exam technique is important.

I got A/A in Core and Additional science and revised purely by doing practise exam papers

ReputationRep:
    OMG im literally in the exact same situation as you. Since the beginning of yr 11 our science teachers have been changed soo many times and we are really behind. I also bought myGCSEscience. I did okay in some science mocks and not so well in others. So anyway back to you i feel myGCSEscience is very useful in understanding the different topics and the concept which is why he made them, they don't help you on answering exam questions and exam techniques. What i recommend is that you buy small revision cards. You can get them from Rymans : http://www.ryman.co.uk/silvine-recor...mm-pack-of-100
    I use these revision cards to make details notes on key parts. I use myGCSEscience, my AQA text book, my CGP revision guide and my own exercise book. I then put them all onto a binder ring. I make them colourful so they are more interesting when reading them. SO yeh make these revision cards to help with your understanding. If you don't like the idea you can also make folders and make pages of notes. I do both of these and it greatly helps with my understanding of the topics. Because i do triple science there is a lot to remember. I really recommend doing one of the two and dont just rely on MyGCSEscience. Trust me once you fully understand B2 C2 and P2 everything becomes a lot more easier. My maths teacher always tell us one thing: The more you practice, the more you understand it, the easier you find it, the quicker you do it. So i hope that its summarised. All i would say is that if your weak at exam questions just continue doing them. Print past papers and complete it under timed conditions. Then mark your paper using the mark scheme. Every time you mark a paper look and read the mark scheme carefully and understand the type of answers they look for. Then after a few days do the same past paper and see if you improved. You must try to do all the past papers for C2 B2 and P2 before the exams and understand the mark schemes.

Im also taking exams this summer and thats why i typed a long response. I hope you take on board what ive said because im an A/A* student and im also hoping for an A* in science. I really hope you do well and start revision now. Its worth it.
    Good Luck
    Aty100 xxx

Give me a rep

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I suggest you spend more time reading/studying mark schemes alongside exam papers. It's the best practice there is. You can only get so far with just the syllabus knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I bought the mygcsescience pack as well make sure to get the practice exam questions it really does help. Flashcards really do help too, I get my brother to examine me, you will remember keywords better.
    As soon as I started using mygcsescience I went from a D+ to a low B which is a fantastic improvement. I hated Chemistry, I still sort of do. In Year9 before I discovered Mygcsescience videos I kept getting D's as soon as I discovered these videos and bought em, I improved by a whole grade. Just do pastpapers espically for chemistry exams do tend to use the same question and change the numbers or the story.

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted A and I just revise every week for about 2 hours and go over core science

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.