Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

people keeping this headphones in when you're trying to talk to them Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who in general is quite rude. He's a nice guy but was spoilt as a child! He seem to lack basic manners and social awareness!

Anyway, if he invites me to go shopping, meet for a coffee or a meal etc he will keep one of his ear pieces in his ear and listens to music so that I have to repeat myself or shout to try and have conversation. is it just me or would you consider this rude? Would you be annoyed? Anyone have a friend like this?

ReputationRep:
    If you've gone out of your way to meet up then yes, rude.

If you're friends, I think it's okay in general school situations or something if you're j chilling

ReputationRep:
    conversely i really hate when i put my earphones in and someone keeps trying to talk to me.

in your situation though i would be like wtf are you doing why did we meet

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who always has headphones in her ears when you talk to her.
    And she sings and all that crap....
    I wanna slap her bad.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be annoyed. It's just rude to invite someone out and have headphones in/stare at your phone all the time etc.

ReputationRep:
    Of course that's rude. I can't stand people like that. What's worse is when they invite you out and they're always on their phones. Don't bother accepting the invitation next time.

ReputationRep:
    Well, be thankful that they're not both in?

But yes, I'd be annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies. When I meet up with someone I meet up to chat not to listen to music. I can listen to music on my own lol. Or even worse, having to listen to music through the ear piece of someone else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by og.east)
    conversely i really hate when i put my earphones in and someone keeps trying to talk to me.

in your situation though i would be like wtf are you doing why did we meet
    this really grinds my gears when you get random strangers on the street trying to talk to you when you clearly have headphones in, if it's someone I know then it's cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    this really grinds my gears when you get random strangers on the street trying to talk to you when you clearly have headphones in, if it's someone I know then it's cool
    tbh i'm thinking more when you're on public transport with someone you sort of know and you just tell them you want to chill and listen to music, and they keep interrupting your jams with their inane babble

ReputationRep:
    That annoys me too, but only in that situation. A social situation, IMO, demands near enough full attention. That someone usually starts playing on their phone during a 3 second lull in conversation is not only a slight to myself, but also a sign of the times in that people can never leave the ****ing thing alone for more than a few minutes at a time. Reply to a text? Sure. Have to take a call? Doesn't bother me. But start playing Angry Birds while we're chatting and I'll turn your phone into a bird, thus making you angry (while giving myself a massive internal sense of self satisfaction. I'm not immune from being an ******** sometimes :awesome: ).

If I'm out and about alone then I rarely take my headphones off to talk to people, too busy musicing

ReputationRep:
    If I'm actually with somebody and they've got headphones in I'd pull them out, it's rude.

If you're on your own though and someone tries to talk to you when you've got headphones in, they're in the wrong. Headphones means do not, under any circumstances, speak to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mezza362)
    I have a friend who in general is quite rude. He's a nice guy but was spoilt as a child! He seem to lack basic manners and social awareness!

Anyway, if he invites me to go shopping, meet for a coffee or a meal etc he will keep one of his ear pieces in his ear and listens to music so that I have to repeat myself or shout to try and have conversation. is it just me or would you consider this rude? Would you be annoyed? Anyone have a friend like this?
    That's incredibly rude. I'd be less inclined to spend time with someone who behaved like that when I'm trying to talk to them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.