Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. Due to an issue with me changing GCSE subjects late and pretty much being plonked into any old random class, I don't believe that I am among people who possess...a similar abilty to myself. There is no pleasant way to say that without sounding self-conceited, so I am sorry if I come off that way. Anyway, my teacher has set the whole class to do a foundation paper. She assured us that we could get a B depending on whether our coursework is "exceptional" or not. Though, that isn't enough for me - I hate being limited. I understand, GCSEs probably won't matter so much after college but -and here is where my problem arises- my local sixth form only accepts A grades to get into A-level chem and bio. I'll copy an exact statement just to be sure - "Grades AA or above in the higher tier of GCSE double award science and/or additional science." I am extremely limited as to where I can go for college/sixth form, so I desperately need to achieve an A grade to 1) ensure that I don't have to consider another college outside of my town and 2) gain the requirements for the courses (biology, chemistry and possibly physics) which I want to take at A-level. Is it just that I am mis-understanding GCSE altogether? I'm in year 10, I had just moved up last September. Could it be that I could perhaps achieve an A later on? Will I be able to take the exam again? We are starting our coursework next week, though coursework probably doesn't matter in my case...it's the exam itself I'm worried about. Please, please help! I'd be extremely grateful and yes I am planning on talking to a teacher - I found out pretty recently that I had to achieve an A grade to be eligible for the course. :/:mad: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dovahkiin2273)
    Hello. Due to an issue with me changing GCSE subjects late and pretty much being plonked into any old random class, I don't believe that I am among people who possess...a similar abilty to myself. There is no pleasant way to say that without sounding self-conceited, so I am sorry if I come off that way. Anyway, my teacher has set the whole class to do a foundation paper. She assured us that we could get a B depending on whether our coursework is "exceptional" or not. Though, that isn't enough for me - I hate being limited. I understand, GCSEs probably won't matter so much after college but -and here is where my problem arises- my local sixth form only accepts A grades to get into A-level chem and bio. I'll copy an exact statement just to be sure - "Grades AA or above in the higher tier of GCSE double award science and/or additional science." I am extremely limited as to where I can go for college/sixth form, so I desperately need to achieve an A grade to 1) ensure that I don't have to consider another college outside of my town and 2) gain the requirements for the courses (biology, chemistry and possibly physics) which I want to take at A-level. Is it just that I am mis-understanding GCSE altogether? I'm in year 10, I had just moved up last September. Could it be that I could perhaps achieve an A later on? Will I be able to take the exam again? We are starting our coursework next week, though coursework probably doesn't matter in my case...it's the exam itself I'm worried about. Please, please help! I'd be extremely grateful and yes I am planning on talking to a teacher - I found out pretty recently that I had to achieve an A grade to be eligible for the course. :/:mad: :eek:
    This was the same for me in Maths, I needed a B to do Physics, Biology and Chemistry at A level. Firstly, if you are planning on talking to a teacher address very strongly that you are willing to put the work in and that it would mean so much to you to get be able to have a chance to get an A, trust me teachers love to help you in any possible way if they know that you have a good chance of getting the grade as you have mentioned that you are limited and want to improve even further! Although you can get up to A* in coursework (ISA's) it won't be possible in actual examination papers so even if getting an A* in an ISA but C in a paper would only limit to you at a maximum of a B I think or near that anyway but I'm sure you already know this. Would it be even possible to move groups, have they already done their course work and are learning different topics to you? Are they on to additional science and are you on core? It all depends if it is even possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horsegirl01302)
    This was the same for me in Maths, I needed a B to do Physics, Biology and Chemistry at A level. Firstly, if you are planning on talking to a teacher address very strongly that you are willing to put the work in and that it would mean so much to you to get be able to have a chance to get an A, trust me teachers love to help you in any possible way if they know that you have a good chance of getting the grade as you have mentioned that you are limited and want to improve even further! Although you can get up to A* in coursework (ISA's) it won't be possible in actual examination papers so even if getting an A* in an ISA but C in a paper would only limit to you at a maximum of a B I think or near that anyway but I'm sure you already know this. Would it be even possible to move groups, have they already done their course work and are learning different topics to you? Are they on to additional science and are you on core? It all depends if it is even possible.
    I'm not entirely sure if it is possible to move groups, at best I'd be happy to be doing a higher tier paper instead of a lower tier. I opted for additional science, albeit late(changed over from art after I realised I made a very bad decision), which is why I'm in the wrong group at the moment. I'm pretty sure that everybody who took additional science does the same topics regardless of the group they are in, I know I have the aptitude to achieve an A overall...it's just so very hard trying to put that into words without sounding big headed. My number one aim is to at least try to convince them to allow me to take the higher tier paper. Moving classes would be a lot to ask, in my opinion it isn't so nice to say that you're better than someone else even if it is true. I mean, I KNOW that I am better at science than the rest of my class. There are even dyslexic people in my group, which may I add, is quite annoying since most of them just love to copy my work. It's all well and good saying that you're better and believing that, but how would one go about telling that to a teacher? Perhaps it is for my own good, but still. Ah, as long as I'm given a fair chance to achieve an A at the end of year 11 then I'll be okay. It just sucks feeling like you're completely underestimated, and that there's nothing you can to do pull yourself out of the situation but sulk in a corner and endure it. I wasn't planning on doing anything about the issue until I read some sixth form requirements for a few courses I want to take, I guess planning ahead isn't so bad after all. I won't have a problem with GCSE maths, because we have the option to do higher tier maths in year 11 if we succeed in lower tier in year 10. If only that was the same for science. :l

ReputationRep:
    Update - I asked my teachers today if I could take the higher tier paper instead, and they gladly agreed. Thank you for the advice, it definitely encouraged me to ask them. I'm going to, firstly, see how I get on with higher tier in my mock exams in a few weeks. If I do good in those, then I can take the higher tier paper for my real GCSEs. Again, thank you. I'm investing in some CGP GCSE revision guides, hopefully they'll help me along with any past papers I can find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dovahkiin2273)
    Update - I asked my teachers today if I could take the higher tier paper instead, and they gladly agreed. Thank you for the advice, it definitely encouraged me to ask them. I'm going to, firstly, see how I get on with higher tier in my mock exams in a few weeks. If I do good in those, then I can take the higher tier paper for my real GCSEs. Again, thank you. I'm investing in some CGP GCSE revision guides, hopefully they'll help me along with any past papers I can find.
    My pleasure, glad I helped. I've recently done my two ISAs and got an A in Chemistry Unit 1 and an A* in a Physics Unit 2, I'm doing Unit 3 next year. It's good that the school give people a chance to do the higher in maths if they do well. Message me sometime and let me know how additional Science goes!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.