ghalia8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey everyone, I'm a current IB2 student and I recently got conditional offers for Geography BA in LSE and Combined Honours in Social Sciences at Durham University. I understand that they're both outstanding universities but I'm confused and indecisive so it'll be great to read what some of you think!
Thank you
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Seriously?
LSE.
Bguitarguy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
LSE is probably more famous internationally, but both are outstanding universties. The difference between the two really is negligible; any decision should ultimately come down to whether or not you want to live in London. Both attract some of the best students in the UK, so you can't really go wrong. Either should allow you to do what you want to do. As an example, I have friends that went to both, and they are both in the same graduate scheme for the same bank.
polscistudent88
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well since it's different subjects I'd probably try to understand for which one of the two degrees I'd actually like to go...
BestProfileName
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Assuming you don't mind which degree you want to do, pick LSE. Durham is good, but has very little international reputation in comparison to LSE.
callum_law
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BestProfileName)
Assuming you don't mind which degree you want to do, pick LSE. Durham is good, but has very little international reputation in comparison to LSE.
Why are you responding to a thread which is 7 months old? And your name is not the best.
Spoiler:
Show
LSE is known internationally for a whole range of subjects. It's not known for geography. Durham's geography department is very good and is A*AA whereas LSE is AAA. The whole thing about Durham not being very good because it is not well-known internationally assumes that international awareness is something which is important. This is clearly not the case: someone working at John Hopkins in the US not knowing about the Cancer Institute does not mean the Cancer Institute is poor. There are thousands of unis and no one is expected to know even the top 2% of these. In the case of Durham, it would simply mean that for someone working in HR in Singapore they would look up Durham's international rank (which is very good, except for ARWU which is a silly ranking in itself). I truly do not understand why you and several others in this thread have categorically asserted that OP should go to LSE rather than Durham, as if LSE is leagues ahead. Perhaps if we were discussing Kent and UCL, yes. But Durham and LSE? I don't quite agree with your reasoning.

I don't study at either uni, by the way.
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by callum_law)
Why are you responding to a thread which is 7 months old? And your name is not the best.
Spoiler:
Show
LSE is known internationally for a whole range of subjects. It's not known for geography. Durham's geography department is very good and is A*AA whereas LSE is AAA. The whole thing about Durham not being very good because it is not well-known internationally assumes that international awareness is something which is important. This is clearly not the case: someone working at John Hopkins in the US not knowing about the Cancer Institute does not mean the Cancer Institute is poor. There are thousands of unis and no one is expected to know even the top 2% of these. In the case of Durham, it would simply mean that for someone working in HR in Singapore they would look up Durham's international rank (which is very good, except for ARWU which is a silly ranking in itself). I truly do not understand why you and several others in this thread have categorically asserted that OP should go to LSE rather than Durham, as if LSE is leagues ahead. Perhaps if we were discussing Kent and UCL, yes. But Durham and LSE? I don't quite agree with your reasoning.

I don't study at either uni, by the way.
No disagreeing with your comments. But, LSE remains more well known internationally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.08%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.63%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.93%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.85%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.35%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.11%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.04%

Watched Threads