Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to go into my second term of the first year at uni and I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

In the first term I found it very difficult to connect with people and make friends and I haven't really made any My flatmates are much older than me (mainly guys) and don't want to go out clubbing so they don't really bother with me, we just say hi that's about it. I've made effort with some of the girls in the flat next door but they always turn me down whenever I ask them to go out or they have too different interests and don't drink. The people on my course are so unfriendly it's hard to believe when it's such a small course in comparison to others. They already seem to have formed a group and make it pretty obvious they don't want to get to know you. I've tried talking to some of them but they seem as though they don't really care about making friends.

I'm quite a shy person but once I feel comfortable with someone I'm fine. I really enjoy going out and drinking having fun but nobody I've met seems to like that and that's what I thought university was partly about.

I don't know what else to do other than join societies. Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Join societies is a good one - or you could search around on Facebook/the student room for people at your uni. What about people in your classes or lectures, maybe ask to study with them and then build friendships from there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Might be worth looking outside of the uni too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eat146)
    I'm just about to go into my second term of the first year at uni and I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

In the first term I found it very difficult to connect with people and make friends and I haven't really made any My flatmates are much older than me (mainly guys) and don't want to go out clubbing so they don't really bother with me, we just say hi that's about it. I've made effort with some of the girls in the flat next door but they always turn me down whenever I ask them to go out or they have too different interests and don't drink. The people on my course are so unfriendly it's hard to believe when it's such a small course in comparison to others. They already seem to have formed a group and make it pretty obvious they don't want to get to know you. I've tried talking to some of them but they seem as though they don't really care about making friends.

I'm quite a shy person but once I feel comfortable with someone I'm fine. I really enjoy going out and drinking having fun but nobody I've met seems to like that and that's what I thought university was partly about.

I don't know what else to do other than join societies. Does anyone have any advice?
    Societies..........particularly very active ones, sports one's are usually very good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Societies..........particularly very active ones, sports one's are usually very good
    what societies would you recommend for a good social life? I'm going to join some this week as there is a refreshers fair!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eat146)
    what societies would you recommend for a good social life? I'm going to join some this week as there is a refreshers fair!
    Depends which ones are active and your university...........generally speaking they are also social differently, some are very much towards drinking and clubbing....whereas others are more about just events getting people together for the night such as going to the movie or eating, etc

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.