Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how anyone does it. You get £50 a week and you got to pay electricity, water, rent, council tax, food, car tax/mot/insurance/petrol.

ReputationRep:
    Some people live in council houses and so they don't have to pay council tax if they don't work. The rent is usually free cos the government pays for that I think. They just pop out tons of kids and use their childrens money I guess.oh and they probably don't have a car. They use buses or taxis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    not all of us on benefits have to pay bills btw 0_0

ReputationRep:
    That's the idea though in theory- benefits aren't designed to give a 5* luxury lifestyle- they're designed to provide temporary support or a lifeline to those who needed it most. I sympathise with those who do have to live on benefits because it is literally the bare minimum required to survive but the governments policy mean they want to make work a more viable option than benefits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    They get housing benefit. Benefits generally aren't enough to live on.

ReputationRep:
    They don't pay council tax and they get housing benefit. People I know who are on benefits either don't have cars or have one but rarely use it as they can't afford to run it so I'm guessing that's the same for a lot of claimants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by gemmam)
    They don't pay council tax and they get housing benefit. People I know who are on benefits either don't have cars or have one but rarely use it as they can't afford to run it so I'm guessing that's the same for a lot of claimants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everyone of working age now pays council tax regardless of their situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Everyone of working age now pays council tax regardless of their situation.
    Oh right, when I was on benefits a few years back you didn't pay it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was raised on benefits, and I'll give a laconic response the the original question. Uncomfortably.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Oh right, when I was on benefits a few years back you didn't pay it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They've changed it now. Regardless of your situation, everyone under pension age has to pay some form of council tax. And they now wonder why so many people are struggling and are having to turn to food banks.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.