Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've recently applied to study Primary Education and have so far received an invitation to an interview for one of my choices. I have a Level 3 qualification in Childcare & Education (CACHE Diploma) and have recently completed a Foundation Degree in Early Years Practice. I currently work with children in the early years in a private day nursery and have done for over 3 years, and I have carried out work placements within local primary schools previous to this (whilst doing my Level 3).

My problem is, each university I've applied for requires applicants to have had recent experience within a state primary school for at least 5 full days. This is impossible for me as I work Mon-Fri between 7:30-6pm.

However, I detailed my experience and employment history within my application & personal statement, and despite the lack of primary schoool experience, I've been invited to an interview. I'm wondering if my experience within the early years will be taken into account or whether it will be automatically dismissed? I've read a few threads on here where others have stated that the universities really look for previous school or classroom experience during the interviews so I'm a little worried, and wondering whether it's worth contacting the university itself?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heatherxela)
    Hi,
    I've recently applied to study Primary Education and have so far received an invitation to an interview for one of my choices. I have a Level 3 qualification in Childcare & Education (CACHE Diploma) and have recently completed a Foundation Degree in Early Years Practice. I currently work with children in the early years in a private day nursery and have done for over 3 years, and I have carried out work placements within local primary schools previous to this (whilst doing my Level 3).

My problem is, each university I've applied for requires applicants to have had recent experience within a state primary school for at least 5 full days. This is impossible for me as I work Mon-Fri between 7:30-6pm.

However, I detailed my experience and employment history within my application & personal statement, and despite the lack of primary schoool experience, I've been invited to an interview. I'm wondering if my experience within the early years will be taken into account or whether it will be automatically dismissed? I've read a few threads on here where others have stated that the universities really look for previous school or classroom experience during the interviews so I'm a little worried, and wondering whether it's worth contacting the university itself?

Thanks

You've got an interview, so you know they're interested. When it comes to it, really stress to them all the experience you do have and how even this has convinced you that you should be right for the programme. You'll be fine!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.