Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Hello, I was just wondering if 8A's and 2A*'s is good enough to study Medicine.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    Hello, I was just wondering if 8A's and 2A*'s is good enough to study Medicine.
    They're fine, just make sure you apply wisely when the time comes. GCSE requirements for each Medical School can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by usycool1)
    They're fine, just make sure you apply wisely when the time comes. GCSE requirements for each Medical School can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements
    Woah thank you for that link!

Also have the requirements been raised as those are from 2013?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper

You are welcome.

Many of them are still the same atm but it'd be sensible to check the website for the Medical Schools you're interested in just to make sure the requirements haven't changed.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by usycool1)
    You are welcome.

Many of them are still the same atm but it'd be sensible to check the website for the Medical Schools you're interested in just to make sure the requirements haven't changed.
    Ok thank you very much!

ReputationRep:

Hello,please my sister is currently studying access courses ,for she intend to study medicine,but is it possible??,and if yes,does she have to apply directly to any med school after she is through with the courses??,the courses are Maths,English ,Biology ,Chemistry and physics
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by CurtisMeyer)
    Hello,please my sister is currently studying access courses ,for she intend to study medicine,but is it possible??,and if yes,does she have to apply directly to any med school after she is through with the courses??,the courses are Maths,English ,Biology ,Chemistry and physics
    I don't know but if her results are equal to or better than mine then she is probably ok.

ReputationRep:
    Okay,thanks
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Okay,thanks
    Out of curiosity what did she get at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity what did she get at GCSE?
    Can't even tell,she is probably 25 now,and she dropped out of college some years back,so I don't know much,I'm just being afraid for her if she is taking the right path
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Can't even tell,she is probably 25 now,and she dropped out of college some years back,so I don't know much,I'm just being afraid for her if she is taking the right path
    Wait a minute she dropped out of college?!
    Did she finish her A Levels?

ReputationRep:
    Wait a minute she dropped out of college?!
    Did she finish her A Levels?
    Yes,it's looks funny right,I'm not sure if she did finish her A-levels,she is practically a difficult person

ReputationRep:

Do be aware that the information in that link will change each year. You need to check each university you are considering

ReputationRep:
    I got 2A* 2A 6B and 1C. Is that good enough for medicine if I get exceptional results at A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadMuhammad)
    I got 2A* 2A 6B and 1C. Is that good enough for medicine if I get exceptional results at A-levels.
    Most requirements ask for atleast 5 or 6 gcses at grade A, you've just missed out on GCSE requirement slightly.

But hey, you can apply for medicine with a relevant degree if you really want to do it that badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Most requirements ask for atleast 5 or 6 gcses at grade A, you've just missed out on GCSE requirement slightly.

But hey, you can apply for medicine with a relevant degree if you really want to do it that badly.
    But can you not do better on A-levels and entry tests, to compensate for GCSE. I was reading some of the entry requirements on universities such as UCL - all they require of GCSE is C grade or above in English Language and a language at grade B. Rest is A-Levels. Same with Cambridge - they need 96% or above at AS modules and GCSE's are not a requirement.

I am not sure if many applicants are successful with poor GCSE (2A* 2A 6B and 1C).

ReputationRep:
    But can you not do better on A-levels and entry tests, to compensate for GCSE. I was reading some of the entry requirements on universities such as UCL - all they require of GCSE is C grade or above in English Language and a language at grade B. Rest is A-Levels. Same with Cambridge - they need 96% or above at AS modules and GCSE's are not a requirement.

I am not sure if many applicants are successful with poor GCSE (2A* 2A 6B and 1C).
    Am not sure but Alevels and entry tests are very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Am not sure but Alevels and entry tests are very important.
    Would you know of any students who have gone to medical universities with poor GCSE but excellent results at A-levels and top scores in entry tests?

ReputationRep:
    Would you know of any students who have gone to medical universities with poor GCSE but excellent results at A-levels and top scores in entry tests?
    No I only people who had good GCSE, Alevels and good entry results. Don't get me wrong your gcses are not terrible just medicine is really competitive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    No I only people who had good GCSE, Alevels and good entry results. Don't get me wrong your gcses are not terrible just medicine is really competitive
    I understand, but there must be people who improve greatly after GCSE?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.