The Student Room Group

Shakespeare should not be taught in school

Yes Shakespeare is important in literature but I think he is racist and inappropriate and irrelavant. When I did Macbeth he mentioned some anti-semitic and racist things against russians I think it is inapproriate we are wasting our time doing this we should be taught to write cvs and things that will actually help us sure he is a famous figue and apparently he has clever themes but I learnt nothing from him. In my opinion he should be left to be honest I cannot relate to his plays I cannot even enjoy them because most of his plays are a out killing and dying I mean come on there is so much death in most of his plays not all of them but most especially those studied at school i think they are quite stupid and a waste of time with little morals that we could be taught

Anyone else agrees with me
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maria1812
Yes Shakespeare is important in literature but I think he is racist and inappropriate and irrelavant. When I did Macbeth he mentioned some anti-semitic and racist things against russians I think it is inapproriate we are wasting our time doing this we should be taught to write cvs and things that will actually help us sure he is a famous figue and apparently he has clever themes but I learnt nothing from him. In my opinion he should be left to be honest I cannot relate to his plays I cannot even enjoy them because most of his plays are a out killing and dying I mean come on there is so much death in most of his plays not all of them but most especially those studied at school i think they are quite stupid and a waste of time with little morals that we could be taught

I agree, but not really for the reasons you give.
I don't think people like you should be taught Shakespeare. You'd be better off learning how to read and write at a basic level to begin with.
Reply 3
I agree my grammar is quite bad due to spending so long on Shakespeare not on how to use commas and other things. I honestly am not too sure if i use commas correctly for my age this is ridiculous to be honest
I honestly am not too sure if i use commas correctly for my age

I certainly hope not.

A 76 word sentence Maria, that's pretty impressive.
Reply 6
Please do not mock me i am here for your opinion on Shakespeare not my grammar or spelling!
literature should be banned.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Please do not mock me i am here for your opinion on Shakespeare not my grammar or spelling!

My opinion on Shakespeare is that it is doomed to be wasted upon someone without basic reading and writing skills. You also do not appear to be mature enough to grasp the contextual background of the plays or to grapple with themes that you find uncomfortable.

I partly agree with you. I don't think there is much reason for people in your situation to learn Shakespeare.
Reply 9
Again, yeah, if you can't write properly then Shakespeare is going to be wasted on you. But you do have a point that too much attention is placed on Shakespeare, to the detriment of learning practical skills like punctuation or writing cover letters, which would have been really useful to learn in school.
Reply 10
Original post by Lwin
Again, yeah, if you can't write properly then Shakespeare is going to be wasted on you. But you do have a point that too much attention is placed on Shakespeare, to the detriment of learning practical skills like punctuation or writing cover letters, which would have been really useful to learn in school.

Thank you your comment is the only one that is relevent and not insulting I agree with you.
Reply 11
Original post by BitWindy
My opinion on Shakespeare is that it is doomed to be wasted upon someone without basic reading and writing skills. You also do not appear to be mature enough to grasp the contextual background of the plays or to grapple with themes that you find uncomfortable.

I partly agree with you. I don't think there is much reason for people in your situation to learn Shakespeare.

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to upvote you again, so I'll take this opportunity to say that you, sir, are a valued and respected member of this internet community.

Thank you your comment is the only one that is relevent and not insulting I agree with you.

The only one that is relevant because it's the only one that agrees with you? And I really don't see this overemphasis on Shakespeare - I only did 3 plays at school, and one of those was as part of an optional subject (A-level) plus in two years of English Literature at degree level I have literally had 1 seminar on Shakespeare. You say we should use the time normally given to literature to focus on CVs etc.? But what would we do for every other lesson except the one that that would take? I doubt you'd get on with Chaucer any better.

Many of Shakespeare's most famous plays had plot lines which were adapted from earlier works by other people. A large part of Shakespeare's genius was the packaging - the use of language - appreciation of which requires you first to care about subtleties of language.
Original post by Smaug123
I agree, but not really for the reasons you give.

I also agree but not for those reasons. I couldn't give a dollar about Russian racist remarks. Shakespare is just annoying with his ancient **** english. Thay thou outh. :ditto:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I don't agree with you. Although I can somewhat sympathise.

When I had to study Macbeth I didn't have a clue what was going on, and came away with a bitter taste for Shakespeare. However a better teacher introduced me to Romeo and Juliet, a very approachable play, with enjoyable word play. Then later on in Sixth Form I read Othello and Taming of the Shrew, which were really enjoyable for totally different reasons. I'm glad I was made to study Shakespeare.
Reply 15
"Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him." - Lady Macbeth

Shakespeare certainly has some violent content. Macbeth also features witchcraft, which was very controversial at the time yet is definitely not so taboo today. The racism and anti-Semitism, on the other hand, is more likely to offend modern sensibilities.

"Liver of blaspheming Jew" in the witch's cauldron, anyone?
(edited 9 years ago)
The fact that it made you uncomfortable is exactly why it should be studied.

Just because there are "racist themes" doesn't mean it shouldn't be studied. If you studied only things that had no controversial themes you might as well do primary school literacy. Shakespeare is taught in English literature (or Language, depending on the focus of what you are studying). I don't know why you think how to write your CV should be taught in English literature as your CV will never be a great work of literature. Shakespeare is so key to our language that you can't just ignore him as a writer.

Again you say there is so much death that it is bad. Well again, that is just silly. Essentially you are wanting to study nice happy books with no death or bad themes. This is just silly because what's the point? There isn't one.

Also, it isn't Shakespeare's fault if you are not getting anything out of his work and not understanding it. You don't like this particular writer but that doesn't mean he should go.

Finally your grammar is bad due to spending to long on Shakespeare? Now you're just be idiotic because you learn grammar in primary school. If you don't know where to put a full stop in a sentence by the time you come to read Shakespeare then there is a problem and you need help (not in a you're stupid way. I genuinely mean you need help with reading and writing).
Reply 18
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
The fact that it made you uncomfortable is exactly why it should be studied.

"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!" :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by Munrot07
Just because there are "racist themes" doesn't mean it shouldn't be studied. If you studied only things that had no controversial themes you might as well do primary school literacy. Shakespeare is taught in English literature (or Language, depending on the focus of what you are studying). I don't know why you think how to write your CV should be taught in English literature as your CV will never be a great work of literature. Shakespeare is so key to our language that you can't just ignore him as a writer.

Again you say there is so much death that it is bad. Well again, that is just silly. Essentially you are wanting to study nice happy books with no death or bad themes. This is just silly because what's the point? There isn't one.

Also, it isn't Shakespeare's fault if you are not getting anything out of his work and not understanding it. You don't like this particular writer but that doesn't mean he should go.

Finally your grammar is bad due to spending to long on Shakespeare? Now you're just be idiotic because you learn grammar in primary school. If you don't know where to put a full stop in a sentence by the time you come to read Shakespeare then there is a problem and you need help (not in a you're stupid way. I genuinely mean you need help with reading and writing).

I do not care that a cv will never be great literaterature we do english to learn proper grammar as in school all we do is essays on Shakespeare that is not great literature it is a waste of time. I think there should not be so much books on death there should be 1 or 2 with no controversial or sad themes as it is depressing to read scence 2 act 2 the killing of Duncan act 3 scene 3 another killing it is so depressing. Also Shakespeare is not controversial he himslf said that Macbeth is a tale told by an idiot in the play macbeththerefore he is the
idiot also controversial literature is a literature who talks about politics and itneresting ideologies not killing and becoming king I think it is very clitche as this has been used very often also that most of his plays involve killing is clitche and predictable as if a play starts with a name it is mostly a tragety which is clitche as we know there will be killing and not a good ending. Also his racist remarks is not something that should be tolerated especially in the 21 centuary.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending