Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just got an UC offer to study Psychology @Swansea and I was wondering if someone could give me heads up about the quality of the course, the uni in general and the town on its own.
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I don't go to Swansea University but I've visited it and I have family living in Swansea. The University is really nice. Swansea is a quiet area and people are generally very friendly. There's a park and a beach nearby.

My cousin's friend studies there, and he told me that there isn't much to do in Swansea. He said it's boring. I personally really liked it.

Their Psychology course in ranked quite high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theo1jinx)
    Just got an UC offer to study Psychology @Swansea and I was wondering if someone could give me heads up about the quality of the course, the uni in general and the town on its own.
    Cheers.
    have 2 flatmates and know three others doing psychology at swansea, though I'm doing accounting.
    this year's first term started with 6 modules, one included statistics. The others started on basic areas that were covered in the As and A2 and are mostly focused on getting people up to speed.
    There's a few essays for coursework, I don't think any are longer than 1500 words long; one or two of the exams are multiple choice the rest are written and from what I hear can be winged.

the university main campus itself is ok, its not beautiful and some parts of it look a bit depressing. Some buildings look high quality, some don't. The library is pretty good - plenty of silent spaces and opportunities for computer use.
    The onsite cafe's are quite expensive but if you get accomodation onsite then odds are you're going to get a meal card worth £30 included in your accomodation cost. so if you don't feel like cooking you won't starve.
    Their's an onsite cost cutters, theatre, cinema, clothing shop, post office and plenty of ATM's.
    There's also 2 nightclubs onsite, only been to one since I live off campus, but for fresher's nights they're fairly good.

As for swansea itself it depends what you like, if you look hard enough there's a fair bit to do, there's plenty of access to most kinds of sport, and the beach is huge though its freezing most of the time. If you're not into clubbing there's a fair few cafes, restaurents, bars and pubs (there's a pub at the student village) so the only way you'll get bored is if you don't go out and find something to do.

Anything else you want to know?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by theo1jinx)
    Cheers.
    Hello! I work at Swansea University so if you have any questions then please feel free to ask . As mentioned above, there's plenty to do in Swansea. It is a campus University and we have plenty of amenities on campus which makes things very handy (including the Student Union bars, club, various cafes, a mini supermarket, library, theatre etc). We also have brilliant sports facilities and we are a two minute walk from the beach. To find out more about Swansea University and the student life here, have a look at our Bright Futures page - http://www.swansea.ac.uk/bright-futures/
    Do you have any other questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tearteto)
    have 2 flatmates and know three others doing psychology at swansea, though I'm doing accounting.
    this year's first term started with 6 modules, one included statistics. The others started on basic areas that were covered in the As and A2 and are mostly focused on getting people up to speed.
    There's a few essays for coursework, I don't think any are longer than 1500 words long; one or two of the exams are multiple choice the rest are written and from what I hear can be winged.

the university main campus itself is ok, its not beautiful and some parts of it look a bit depressing. Some buildings look high quality, some don't. The library is pretty good - plenty of silent spaces and opportunities for computer use.
    The onsite cafe's are quite expensive but if you get accomodation onsite then odds are you're going to get a meal card worth £30 included in your accomodation cost. so if you don't feel like cooking you won't starve.
    Their's an onsite cost cutters, theatre, cinema, clothing shop, post office and plenty of ATM's.
    There's also 2 nightclubs onsite, only been to one since I live off campus, but for fresher's nights they're fairly good.

As for swansea itself it depends what you like, if you look hard enough there's a fair bit to do, there's plenty of access to most kinds of sport, and the beach is huge though its freezing most of the time. If you're not into clubbing there's a fair few cafes, restaurents, bars and pubs (there's a pub at the student village) so the only way you'll get bored is if you don't go out and find something to do.

Anything else you want to know?
    Hey, thanks a lot, this has been quite helpful. Do your friends enjoy their psychology course? Also, how is the accommodation like?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Well they've only done the first term so far, exams finished today, so I'm not too sure; it depends on what aspects of psychology you want to focus on / have an interest in.

I came through clearing so I didn't get accomodation on site. However I've visited a few of them, there's a fair range, some are decently sized with en suite, some are literal boxes that you can stride one side to the other in 6 steps. I know one of the accommodation blocks is affectionately referred to as "Block A", because it looks like a miserable prison tower. Not going to lie, some of the accommodation does need some renovations.

Private accommodation is quite good in swansea, even on a low budget - mainly because Wales' housing prices are so low.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot for your time. Overally looks like Swansea is a good option

ReputationRep:
    Oh and the nightlife is solid, first years if we have the money normally go out twice a week, and Wind street does get pretty crazy with cheap drinks, not to mention the carnage and special holiday events.

ReputationRep:
    That's nice. However I've heard that crime rate is quite high . Is that true?

ReputationRep:
    it has it's bad areas like everywhere else, the uni is on the nice side though. The otherside around the train station area can get a bit rough past 10. But there's nothing there that would warrant any student coming to that side apart from one accomodation block that's private, even then as long as people keep to main roads there's nothing to be afraid of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tearteto)
    it has it's bad areas like everywhere else, the uni is on the nice side though. The otherside around the train station area can get a bit rough past 10. But there's nothing there that would warrant any student coming to that side apart from one accomodation block that's private, even then as long as people keep to main roads there's nothing to be afraid of.
    This has been quite helpful, thanks for your time. Swansea university it is, then.

ReputationRep:
    where else have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    Huddersfield , Bangor , Northampton , Trent.
    Bangor course is prolly better but overally people are positive bout Swansea and I'm most probably going to firm that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.